What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder "Chordline"

sfarner

I'm New Here
I'm final drilling the trailing edge of the rudder. I'm not sure how precise I need to be in drilling along the chordline as per the instructions. I understand this means moving the drill a few degrees "forward," but am not sure how far. How precise does this need to be? Thanks,

Steve

We just drilled ours by eye and it turned out great. Do your best and it should be fine. We did not use any jigs for drilling. Try one hole and look at the other side to see where it penetrated and if the hole location looks like it's at the same the side you drilled from.
Ron

Run the drill with high speed, little pressure, and, as mentioned in the previous post, with your best guess by Mk.1 eyeball. The pre-punched holes will tend to pull the drill through correctly. Consistency is more important, as far a looks go, so pick a reference (I eyeballed using the clecos holding it in place) and you'll do fine.

Thank you...I think I read too much into the instructions given that they said to cleco every hole, start in the middle and work to the ends, etc. The fact that the 10 has pre-drilled holes helped, it was rather easy to just eyeball.

Steve

Rudder Trailing Edge

When you get to the stage of pro-sealing and riveting the trailing edge, from my own experience, to cleco the trailing edge to a straight steel angle or box section by drilling every other hole works extremely well and keeps the trailing edge nice and straight. Indeed I'm adopting the same approach when riveting the trailing edges of the flaps and ailerons and the results are great.

Just thought you might find this a useful tip. I think one of the many US web sites shows this.

Best regards from a UK slow (three years in) builder

An 8' aluminum level works great

for all the control surfaces. Got this idea from my nearest friend/rv-10 builder Ted. Drilled every hole. Used opposite side for different rivet pitch.

Failed again

Yep, once again I have failed to come up with an original question.

Thanks AGAIN for the help. :)
Jeff

Back