What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder cable interference

jimgreen

Well Known Member
I can't find a thread on this. With full rudder throw to the right, the left cable end interferes slightly with the snap bushing in the bulkhead. To the left is fine. There is a small "knock" as the cable end slips into the bushing - just the last 1/8" of travel really. It is tempting to just leave it.

Any ideas on how best to fix this without buying a new cable and the aggravation of getting a new cable into a finished airframe?

I used a piece of 1/8' ID urathane tubing about 18" long and sliced it then put it over the cable. This makes the OD of the cable the same as the steel end so there is no jump as the end hits the bushing. I then put heat shrink over it all and have a pefectly smooth transition. Has worked great on my past 3 Rvs

I used a piece of 1/8' ID urathane tubing about 18" long and sliced it then put it over the cable. This makes the OD of the cable the same as the steel end so there is no jump as the end hits the bushing. I then put heat shrink over it all and have a pefectly smooth transition. Has worked great on my past 3 Rvs

That's a tried and true solution. I safety wired the urethane tubing on mine and it has worked fine for >10 years. You don't want a hangup in your rudder cables. You might need that last bit of rudder travel one day.

Are the rudder stops installed and travel verified (30* min-35* max) per the specs in Section 15? If the stops are not present, the excess travel will allow part of the cable swedging to partially enter the snap bushing. This is typically not a problem when flying or taxiing the aircraft though, as you will only see full rudder travel when taxiing the nosewheel varients.

I ran into a similar problem during my first Annual. I wasn't getting full rudder throw, and finally narrowed it down to the rudder pedal weldments. The fix was to make/install longer links from the pedals to the rudder cables.

Here's the thread...

Thanks Joe. My rudder stops are installed and adjusted but I am getting the cable end entering the bushing. Should be fine once the tubing is installed on the cable.

Back