What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder cable interference

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Having completed the installation of the rudder system I find that at almost full rudder deflection the cable ends on the pedals hit the snap bushings in the forward side bulkheads and penetrate the bushings by about 1/2 inch. I have the pedals in the most forward position.
I am sure this is not the first case of this so what did others do to make the cable ends slide through the bushings?
Thanks

Having completed the installation of the rudder system I find that at almost full rudder deflection the cable ends on the pedals hit the snap bushings in the forward side bulkheads and penetrate the bushings by about 1/2 inch. I have the pedals in the most forward position.
I am sure this is not the first case of this so what did others do to make the cable ends slide through the bushings?
Thanks

Check the measurement. They might have sent you the wrong cables.

Thanks

Lots of people (including me) have fairleads on the rudder cables to avoid this problem.

Go to the local hardware store and buy a few feet of clear (slick) nylon tubing that has an internal diameter just larger than the rudder cable.

Now, put each pedal in its most deflected position and measure the distance from the clevis on the rudder cable to the bushing that interferes. Cut a piece of nylon tubing 6" longer than what you measured.

Split the tubing lengthwise and slide it over the rudder cable with one end as far forward as possible - over the top of the shaft of the cable end. The other end will be 6" or so aft of the problem bushing. Use safety wire at each end to snug it down over the cable. Now, you have a fairlead which makes a smooth transition between the cable and the cable end. That fairlead will pass freely through the bushing without hanging up.

Now do the other side.

Check condition at each condition inspection - mine are like new after 7 years and 530 hours.

Back