What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Cable Fairing

Fiberglass

My neighbor had some and I pulled a mold. I layed up fiberglass ones. I didn't want to wait. Worked great.

Why Bother?

The standard design is light, cheap and elegant!
Just my 2 cents
Jim Sharkey
rudderfairleadtq9.jpg

PS - You should try a cold Southern Vermont "garaaje"!

Last edited:
RTV

I wouldn't use RTV in this application. Paint won't stick to it. Also, if you get any silicone residue on the fuse skin, it's very hard to clean off, possibly causing paint problems down the road.
Proseal would be my choice as mentioned above.

Proseal: It doesn't get any easier. Just make sure the contact surfaces are slightly scuffed (for enhanced adhesion) and clean first.

There is no chance moisture can migrate between the parts as opposed to riveting or screwing the fairing into place.

four #40 little CS pop rivets. 5 minutes, done. Can hardly see em. No clamping, taping, gluing.....just as simple, alternate method.

If you ever need need to replace your rudder cables, or if you don't want to have to paint around the cable, will the clevis fit through the fairing or will you need to pull it off? I'm using #4 screws to attach my fairings, but will probably put a small fillet of proseal around the edges to keep the water out. Just another idea.

Last edited:
Nutplates

I used dimpled nutplates and recessed screws so that I could get the fairing off for cable inspection and cable replacement if necessary. It was a difficult little project getting the nutplates installed in there but it turned out nicely in the end. Not a detail I recommend for those who just want to get flying in the shortest possible time frame. This is more a detail for those who are "building 'cause they love to build".

Left click photo for larger size and better rez.

Back