What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Cable Fairing

AdamB

Well Known Member
Quick question that I couldn't find answered already via search...

I have the rudder cable fairings from Cleaveland.
Can I put those on my tailcone now while I'm waiting for my wings?
Or is it better to wait until later?
Mostly concerned that the spade end of the cable might not go through with the fairings on in a later step...

Quick question that I couldn't find answered already via search...

I have the rudder cable fairings from Cleaveland.
Can I put those on my tailcone now while I'm waiting for my wings?
Or is it better to wait until later?
Mostly concerned that the spade end of the cable might not go through with the fairings on in a later step...

The biggest lesson learned during my build was don't procrastinate. If you can do it now, do it. There will be other things that you aren't even thinking about now that will pop up in the future.

There is no reason you can't install them now. Test fit everything with cleco's to ensure you have adequate clearance before riveting. you could also install them with screws and nutplates.

To be honest, I can't even remember when I installed mine. I'm assuming that I didn't have any issues since I can't remember installing them.

The biggest lesson learned during my build was don't procrastinate. If you can do it now, do it. There will be other things that you aren't even thinking about now that will pop up in the future.

I'm not sure when that paradigm shift happened for me, but sometime in the last year and a half I had that similar epiphany.

In reference to the cable fairings I know I installed before I connected the cable. I used the sheathing as a guide to make sure I had the right clearance, but then slapped them on.

Thanks guys,

Seeing I don't yet have the cable or the plastic abrasion shield yet, I'll wait until I do to be sure I have proper clearances.

Tony Partain confirmed on Monday that my QB wings are loaded on the truck.
So looking forward to getting those soon.

Your wing jig !

Hey Adam,
I took a look at your website and the alarm bell started ringing, your wing Jigs need to be braced horizontally, right now there's nothing stopping them from folding up sideways and landing your prized quick build wings on that hard cement floor, would hate to see a grown man cry :(

Hey Adam,
I took a look at your website and the alarm bell started ringing, your wing Jigs need to be braced horizontally, right now there's nothing stopping them from folding up sideways and landing your prized quick build wings on that hard cement floor, would hate to see a grown man cry :(

Okay.. Thanks for the heads up.
I followed Mouser's plans here
http://mouser.org/projects/rv-10/wingassembly.html

I have yet to put the carpet onto the stand, but I believe everything else matches those plans. Does that address your concern? Or are you suggesting additional wood supports horizontally?

Okay.. Thanks for the heads up.
I followed Mouser's plans here
http://mouser.org/projects/rv-10/wingassembly.html

I have yet to put the carpet onto the stand, but I believe everything else matches those plans. Does that address your concern? Or are you suggesting additional wood supports horizontally?

This is the standard RV-10 wing stand used by hundreds of builders.

If you want to use the stand to build from (I used a bench until the top skin was installed), all you need to do is to add a 2x4 where the carpet is to give the spar a resting point.

Rest assured, the sky isn't falling per elev66's warning. The RV-10's wing doesn't use a jig like the other RV models, which may be what is causing his confusion.

Back