What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Bottom to Tail Spring Clearance

NewGuy

How much clearance is needed between the fiberglass rudder bottom and the tail spring on a taildragger?

I thought I saw a required amount stated in the plans, but I can't find that dimension now.

I fitted the fiberglass bottom on today and have about 1/4 inch clearance at the most forward, closest point and that distance increases rapidly as it goes aft.

Is that enough, or do I need to raise it just a little more?

Ken,
1/4" clearance is not enough. I just checked mine. I have right at 3/4" at the closest point. This is unloaded. The airplane is supported with the tailwheel off the ground.

How about loaded? Any idea what clearance is needed for the vertical spring in the tailwheel? I'm getting ready to re-cut my lower fairing as well. I had originally cut it on the scribe lines and it's not nearly enough.

Jim

The nearest point is at the very forward end of the tailspring where it enters the weldment. I wouldn't expect much difference between loaded and unloaded at this point. I just mentioned that mine was unloaded because at present mine is.

Back