What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder balance skin question

papamike

Well Known Member
I'm having a hard time figuring this out, and I can't tell from other people's pictures: Does the rudder balance skin go over or under the rudder skin? I'm thinking it should go over the skin due to airflow, and then taper the edges to clean it up, but I'm not sure.

Thanks

After looking at the drawing again, I guess the main skin goes over the balance skin. But what edge gets beveled? Is that just for the gap that would be created underneath?

Under. Taper the counterbalance skin a bit to smooth the transition where the rudder skin rides over its edge above the spar. Same deal with the elevators.

You can put the c'balance skin on top of the rudder skin, but it looks pretty ugly.

John Siebold

Thanks for the quick response, guys. I guess that makes sense. At work we make tapered shims for uses like this.

Vans calls for it to go under to rudder skin but that creates a skin overlap that is in-to-the-wind. You can do it either way according to Vans.

Back