What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder alignment

Jackm

Well Known Member
As we final assemble, we noticed that with the rudder in neutral position the rudder pedals are offset by 3/4 inch. We remeasured the connector links and rudder horns and only thing we can think is the cables are different length. Has anyone encountered this?

One more thing to check: the whole rudder pedal assembly can be mounted in a fore (for long legs) or aft (for short legs) position. You didn't accidentally mount one end fore, the other end aft? It wouldn't be square to the fuselage but maybe not enough to notice.

My cables were the same length.

Oops, disregard this post-I didn't at first see it was an RV-10 thread!

Jack-
Because the VS is offset, when the rudder is in neutral position, one side of the rudder horn is a bit forward of the other side. Thus, in order to have the rudder pedal bottoms to line up with each other, the link between cable and pedal needs to be slightly shorter than the other.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I screwed up when I did my links and made one set of each length. I used one set on one side and the other set of the other. I found it later when the rudder was not centered. Maybe you made the same mistake......

Rudder Position

I found the same thing, pedals not quite even with the rudder centered... checked my links and they're identical left & right. I think I'll make another set of links a bit longer (or shorter) to compensate.

Jack,
Mine are same way, maybe 1/2". I still have not fixed it! Just got used to it. Now that you have brought it up, I think I am going to take care of it today!

Thanks

Went back and double check all...Bill.yes pedal offset is 5/8 on ours....the difference is in the geometry of pedals as cable links back are all identical...interesting I called factory and talked one of guys to go look at demo 10 and same results. Easy to fix but wanted to be sure I did not oververlook something. While we are talking alignment.... where are u guys setting the elevator trim indicator center....right trim tab in trail or center point if travel?

Jack,
I set my trim tabs up so they are both aligned in the neutral position. I then started with that position as the TAke Off trim position. After a few flights, I zeroed in on a good T.O. Trim setting, and I set the EFIS trim indicator for that position. It's real close to the neutral position.

Yep, mine is offset along with the pedal upper tubes. I have not paid any attention to it as I use whatever it takes to line up with the center line. I may fix it too.

I put an arrow on my pitch trim indicator for solo takeoff(4th LED from bottom) and another at gross takeoff(one LED lower, towards nose down).

Yep, mine is offset along with the pedal upper tubes. I have not paid any attention to it as I use whatever it takes to line up with the center line. I may fix it too.

I put an arrow on my pitch trim indicator for solo takeoff(4th LED from bottom) and another at gross takeoff(one LED lower, towards nose down).

Yes, the pedals are offset the distance between the pedal tubes. Never thought anything about it either. If we "fix" it, will that mean slightly less rudder throw in one direction? As I think about this, I can't remember ever checking to see if the rudder is against the stop when the pedals are pushed full forward on either side. Is the rudder stop what physically limits rudder pedal throw? I will have to check that out! Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, the pedals are offset the distance between the pedal tubes. Never thought anything about it either. If we "fix" it, will that mean slightly less rudder throw in one direction? As I think about this, I can't remember ever checking to see if the rudder is against the stop when the pedals are pushed full forward on either side. Is the rudder stop what physically limits rudder pedal throw? I will have to check that out! Inquiring minds want to know.

Fixed. Made one side link longer ( total offset/2 added to original link dim)
I had full rudder travel with rudder hitting stops both directions....just one pedal was closer to firewall... now they seem equal. Told friend of mine I was going to buy new set of boots for flying this 10,just one sole 5/8" taller:)

Back