What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rubber Duckie Antennas OK for bench tests?

blueflyer

Well Known Member
Is it OK to attach rubber duck antennas to my radios in my panel in order to conduct a safe bench test?

Are you really going to trust opinions on the internet when talking about equipment this expensive? I would call the manufacturer.

Handheld radios put out about 1-2 watts, panel mount average is 10 watts. Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend it.

Are you really going to trust opinions on the internet when talking about equipment this expensive? I would call the manufacturer.

given the backgrounds and reputations of some of the people on this forum, yes i would.

For bench testing radios, I would use a "dummy load" rated for the power and frequency range of the transmitter.

They are not overly expensive but if you ask at a local EAA chapter or if you know any local HAM radio operators, you may be able to borrow what you need.

shoot me an address via PM and I'll send you one of my excess RF dummy loads. Still have a few.

Back