What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RTV

JurgenRoeland

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

I have a very idiot question.
Being non US citizen and non native english speaker, I'm kind of confused what you guys refer to as RTV sealant. (the stuff you put on the end of the stiffeners to avoid cracks.
I understood this is a kind of silicone that hardens with exposure to air. The only problem is, there are 100s of types you can buy of this stuff. In Europe we also have this to seal bathroom sinks etc...

I looked on lowes website to have the US equivalent and found this : http://www.lowes.com/pd_219849-68-1...&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=sealant&page=6

Can somebody confirm that this is the stuff to get. Or post me another link at lowes or homedepot which one to get.

Thanks in advance

Hi Jurgen,
had the same problem here in Italy.

RTV stands for "Room Temperature Vulcanizing", it's a kind of rubber material that hardens without heat.

It's usualy availble at industrial supply shops (try a search on rscomponents.com). Check for compatibility with aluminium, some of them may cause corrosion and, if possible, avoid silicone based products (silicone contaminated surfaces will be hard to paint).

I don't have on hand what I used, but I bought it from rs-componets.. a little expensive, but it usually stocks those hard to find items.

General interest

Vulcanising usually refers to Sulpher cross linking of Rubber. Its what makes car tyres so durable. Then you have acid resistant Vulcanising which is nitrile rubber, that is obviously with NO instead of Sulpher. Silicon cross links with a dehydration reaction that means that acetic acid is produced when it cross links. Hence why you can smell vinegar sometimes as it drys. All three are very different and will have different responses to heat, flexibility and more to the point oxidation from Ozone ( O3 ) believe it or not. It ends up cracking over time and it oxidises. Oxidation breaks down those cross links.

Not that you really care but just to let you know. The side effect of being a chemist in a previous life.

Does somebody know the product number how you get this at lowes or homedepot ? I am fortunate that a collegue of mine is going to the US next week and can bring some stuff. Just need to know what to get.

Hi guys,

I have a very idiot question.
Being non US citizen and non native english speaker, I'm kind of confused what you guys refer to as RTV sealant. (the stuff you put on the end of the stiffeners to avoid cracks.
I understood this is a kind of silicone that hardens with exposure to air. The only problem is, there are 100s of types you can buy of this stuff. In Europe we also have this to seal bathroom sinks etc...

I looked on lowes website to have the US equivalent and found this : http://www.lowes.com/pd_219849-68-1...&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=sealant&page=6

Can somebody confirm that this is the stuff to get. Or post me another link at lowes or homedepot which one to get.

Thanks in advance

No, that is not what you want. In my area I get RTV from auto parts store. They generally have 2 brands one name brand and one clone brand. It will be sold in different colors which are intended to make it easy to identify the type. They have various temp ratings and such. It is sold for gasket work in automotive repair. I tend to like the "black" stuff. I see brands like Dow, Mr Gasket, NAPA. I hope this helps.

For high temp I use DOW #736 from Aircraft Spruce

I always use Dow #736 for high temperature applications. Copied from Aircraft Spruce on line (www.aircraftspruce.com):

#736 High Temp. (to 500?F) Red RTV, 3 Oz. Tube
P/N 09-27900
$10.95

Bob Axsom

I used a lot of the Dow 3145 that Walt recommended. I got some from Walt's "expired surplus" supply and I bought some more expired 3145 on Ebay.

I also used the copper colored, High Temp Sensor Safe stuff found at auto supply places FWF. The sensor safe type is non-acidic

Not RTV but

I used a blob of Pro-seal. I don't like working with it, don't like the smell, but it's all I had at the time.

To late now but anyone see a problem with this?

No, that is not what you want. In my area I get RTV from auto parts store. They generally have 2 brands one name brand and one clone brand. It will be sold in different colors which are intended to make it easy to identify the type. They have various temp ratings and such. It is sold for gasket work in automotive repair. I tend to like the "black" stuff. I see brands like Dow, Mr Gasket, NAPA. I hope this helps.

Hi Charles,

Is this what you are talking about ?

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=BK_7651205_0006382647&An=0

This link is from Permatex.

Permatex Gasket Makers

the four 'Ultra' are the ones you want along with the Red 'High Temp'. All remain 'pliable' (rubbery) except Ultra Gray which eventually becomes rock hard.

Last edited:
The permatex seems to be the most popular here. Anyone know which retail stores have this black one ?
I have collegue who will be in Columbus next week so I can ask him to bring some if I know which stores would have that.

AutoZone
Pep Boys
Advanced Auto Parts
Any big chain auto parts store.

I would also suggest you get at least one tube of gray and one of Copper.

I then have to ask: Columbus? Ohio? Must be business or family.

AutoZone
Pep Boys
Advanced Auto Parts
Any big chain auto parts store.

I would also suggest you get at least one tube of gray and one of Copper.

I then have to ask: Columbus? Ohio? Must be business or family.

Unfortunatly for work... steel business related. Mississipi

Ok, makes sense. What would you use on the end of the stiffeners. The copper one I assume.

Which stiffeners? if you mean the empennage, the black stuff. You would need 3-5 tubes to do the rudder and elevators. I used a 'healthy' blob on each stiffener.

Last edited:
This link is from Permatex.

Permatex Gasket Makers

the four 'Ultra' are the ones you want along with the Red 'High Temp'. All remain 'pliable' (rubbery) except Ultra Gray which eventually becomes rock hard.

This is the link to the correct stuff. I will bet you could find something like it in your neck of the woods if you ask an auto repair person about it.

Which stiffeners? if you mean the empennage, the black stuff. You would need 3-5 tubes to do the rudder and elevators. I used a 'healthy' blob on each stiffener.

That's indeed what I need it for. The blob on te stiffeners of rudder and elevators. I'll get the black one then.

Thanks to you all for all the answers !

Back