What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing of wire to fuel level senders

RV7ADRIVER

I'm New Here
What is the best way to get the fuel level sender wire through the fuselage to that area in front of the main spar? It looks like pushing it throught the same grommet opening with the fuel tube would work just fine. Or possibly drilling a second tiny hole in the same rubber grommet and sneaking it in through that. Is there another path that I am missing? Thanks in advance.

No electrical wiring should ever share the same hole with any tubing. (especially a fuel line).
Mel...DAR

Mel said:
No electrical wiring should ever share the same hole with any tubing. (especially a fuel line).
Mel...DAR

But.............what if the grommet is about an inch in diameter, rather hard rubber, and the wire hole is drilled a distance from the tubing hole.

My fuel sender wire is run in a seperate grommet along with several others, but it looking at the size of my fuel line grommet, the above looks possible without real interference or possible shaffing (spell?)

L.Adamson RV6A

L.Adamson said:
But.............what if the grommet is about an inch in diameter, rather hard rubber, and the wire hole is drilled a distance from the tubing hole.

That'll work.
Mel...DAR

How Van's does it

I could be wrong, but my photo of the RV-7/7A prototype seems to show that wire going through the same hole as the fuel tubing.
h

My wire is through a separate hole in that grommet and it does not run along the line itself. A wire that energizes something might be more of a problem, but since it is for the fuel sender, it is unlikely to short and burn since it is a grounding circuit. If shorted, it will only deflect your fuel gage to full or empty. Other wires that do carry current loads to energize devices should certainly be routed away from fuel lines and tanks.

Roberta

I agree with Roberta, Antenna Co-Ax probably falls into this catagory as well.

I just replied to this as I was searching for wire routing. Having found nothing, I'll ask the question under general...

Larry

Back