What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing of Pitot and AOA tubes

N858JK

I am using the Dynon unheated pitot and AOA probe along with the SafeAir1 "plumbing" kit. Both the pitot and AOA tubes are running through the left wing inside Vans black corrugated conduit. It is tie wrapped to the inside edge of the lightening holes that are just aft of the large ones through which the aileron push rod runs.

I am looking for suggestions as to where to bring the lines into the fuselage and then how to route them to the instrument panel. I have a pair of the SafeAir 90 degree elbows that have built-in mounting lugs and their cool insert-and-push tubing connections. One thought I had was to drill two holes through the fuselage side just aft of the aileron pushrod hole for the tubes to penetrate the fuselage. I would mount the two 90 degree elbows to angle stock that is riveted to the fuselage floor. The elbows would be oriented so that one arm faces the fuselage side and accepts the tubes as they come in from the wing. The other arm faces vertically. This allows the tubes to run from the instrument panel in the same manner as the static line, just under the longeron. But instead of continuing aft as the static line would, the pitot and AOA line would pass through the vertical arms of F904 then turn downward (running along the inside face of the fuselage side), pass through the floor pan (through slots I would cut) and in to the vertical pointing arm of the elbows. I would attach the tubing runs to the fuselage side with self-adhesive tie wrap pads.

How have you guys done it?

Ray

Ray,

I have not routed mine through the fuselage but will in the next few weeks. (Moving to the airport on Saturday, if the weather holds.)

I plan on running both my lines through a snap bushing just below the aileron hole, then forward through the left side of the spar. Once forward of the spar, they will go across to the center tunnel and then forward with the fuel lines, looping back to the panel.

Mine is a -9, not a -9A, so I have an extra hole but... Those brackets are not structural, they only hold the cover and fuel lines in place so you can either enlarge an existing hole or drill another one. Your call.

Last edited:
I ran out of spar holes for routing, so once the lines penetrated the fuselage wall, I ran them backwards under the seat pan, then up through the pan, through the armrest then forward underneath the main longeron to the panel.

Vern

Back