What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Round magnets?

RV8RIVETER

Well Known Member
Patron
Bought a set of wheel pant kits from Vans last year for new gear. They came with a package of round magnets, see photo. I can't come up with any use for them, does anybody know what they are used for?

Thanks.

20240831_102107.jpg

Side note, back in the day before match drill or even pre punch kits, a buddy of mine put together a kit for locating where to drill when measuring and transferring wasn’t practical. He used small magnets you could super glue to the ribs and with a viewer he designed, hold it on the skin and it would locate where to drill. The magnets would pop off when you drilled and you could keep using them.
He sold many for the cost of materials and gave away as many to aspiring builders. Early RV builders were a creative bunch. You had to be ;)

Got a lot of use out of that ATS tool during 14A build. Works in a lot of situations.
You can source your own stuff for less than $20, less the center punch which most have already. My buddies viewer had a hole in the center for a marker. I haven’t tried putting a hole in viewing film but I bet it would work fine. No disrespect to ATS whom I like.
Yes, very handy little known way to locate positions under sheet or glass.

Back