What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax Warranty Claim Information - Ignition Module Failure Tip

MartySantic

Well Known Member
From the CTForum.... The CT forum has a separate section on the Rotax that one can subscribe to. Have been a number of discussions on this forum regarding the Rotax warranty.
http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/2268-rotax-warranty/

During a recent chat with Rotax we had a discussion about warranty and claims. There is a big misunderstanding on how it works and what to do.

Your warranty is with Rotax and not the aircraft Mfg. You must register your engine and that might go through an aircraft MFG even through it isn't their responsibility, but it should go through your nearest Rotax distributor or If you are the first time owner you can register the engine on line. It is the distributor's responsibility according to Rotax. Then you should follow through after 4 weeks and check to see if it was really registered. Only 20% of all Rotax engine ever register. You can go on the Kodiak Rotax website and put your engine serial number in and it will tell you if it was registered. If you did not register your engine and have to file a warranty claim you will need to register it first then file the claim. If you are the second or third owner then you must call or write the closest distributor and register that engine in your name.

www.flyrotax.com is the Rotax site that will always have the most current forms and documentation.

If you need a warranty form this is a good place to go for a CSIR (customer service information report) form. You need to fill in all the blanks or should write N/A. You must include copies of your logbook, you must have done the 25 hr. required warranty inspection, you must show good documentation and if you have a visible damage you need to send pictures. The 3 line annual in your logbook won't cut it. The 3 line annuals in a logbook many times gets denied a claim. good detailed documentation should be part of your maint. routine.

All your filled out paperwork needs to go through your nearest Rotax distributor. make copies before you send it in. Do not send claims through third parties. For instance if you pull up the CSIR form on Lockwood's site and submit it electronically it goes through Rotech in Canada. It is nice of them to help, but this third party submission may add 3-8 months of time and sometimes gets lost in the shuffle.

The warranty claims are all processed by the Rotax flying and Safety Club. You can not submit a claim directly to them and must go through your distributor.

You can at times submit a warranty claim after the engine is out of warranty. depending on the problem you may get a "Good Will" claim and some help. It may only be 50% off the expensive part, but that will get decided on a case by case basis and how far out of warranty you are.

If you fill out the correct paperwork, your documentation is good, you sent it through the right channels the warranty claim can get processed within 72 hours.

The other item to discuss is that warranty claims get paid after all the work is done and not before so all parts are accounted for and labor. If the claim is during the warranty period and is performed by a Rotax approved mechanic labor and parts are all paid for. There is a shop rate scale on Rotaxfly website.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion and why some have trouble with claims.

-------------------

Ignition module failure rates seem to be on the increase either because reporting and communications are better or because installation issues are causing this. These seem to be failing between 400-800 hours TTSN from the ones I have been hearing about. These won't be covered under warranty after warranty is past.

Here is the tip of the day.

Ignition modules can only take so much heat and with the huge increase in LSA Mfgs. and nice tight cowls the heat inside can get trapped with no where to go. The issue isn't usually when you are flying as there is usually good air and heat exchange. The problems start when you stop flying and park and the under the cowl temps climb and they can climb quite high. It would be nice if aircraft Mfg's had known this and given the heat some where to go. Some are lucky and have an oil door on top to open, but many don't.

It would be a very sound practice to buy some heat sensitive tape strips. The target heat to stay away from is anything over 175F. So a strip that reads anywhere from 150F-220F may be a good place to be. Place this heat strip on the ignition module. If the heat strip keeps popping above 175F you might think of a way to get rid of some of the heat after your done flying. If you need to replace your modules the newer soft start modules are going for around $750 for the pair, but may not be this way forever..

Anyone having failures?

320 hours on my -12, no issues at all.

600 hours flying other 912's, no issues st all.

As I reported back when they failed - -

Both of mine failed between 400 - 500 hours. I installed heat strips, and they have stayed at 150 degrees, so not sure what to expect.

570.2 hours as of 9-14-13

Both of mine failed between 400 - 500 hours. I installed heat strips, and they have stayed at 150 degrees, so not sure what to expect.

570.2 hours as of 9-14-13

John,
What was the failure symptoms? (sorry, you probably posted about it... I don't remember seeing it).

FYI, Earlier this year Rotax issued a requirement to aircraft manufacturers using the 912, to do a temp evaluation of the ign modules. I'm not sure how anyone in the northern hemisphere was supposed to do that in February... anyway, it even specified a specific location for the stick-on temp sensors.
This testing has been done with the RV-12, and the satisfactory results reported (as required) to Rotax.

We ended up with a spare OAT probe (one with the airframe kit, one with our UK-sourced SkyView system, bought pre-Van's SV option).

I fitted this under the GPS aerial bracket as a poor-man's fire warning system and generated a widget to display it on the SV.

I think the max temp indicated on the OAT is 56 degC (132 degF) and if the ambient temp on the ground is up towards 30 degC (mid 80s F) then the cowl temp will reach this upper limit during the pre-flight power checks.

Once on the move though, the cowl temp seems to sit around mid to high 30s degC (90s F) - obviously depending a bit on the ambient temp.

I think that the excellent Van's cylinder cooling shroud will keep the heat away from the ignition modules. Many other 912 installations don't have any shroud over the cylinders (Tecnams for instance).

vsk1.png

Hey Scott - -

I reported incorrectly about the temps. They are at 140 degrees. I put them on the sides so I could see them without removing anything. I made mention of it back when it happened.

The first, I was flying and the engine reduced RPM, then picked back up in cycles. I'd say maybe 100 - 200 RPM. The second failed on the ground. Checking mags, and it was ready to die.

Last edited:
I notice the CHT's increase after shutdown - I only have the data for the few minutes after engine shutdown until I download my Flight Data onto the thumbdrive. So, maybe they continue to increase substantially more after I power down the electrics.

On a hot day (for these parts) of around 90 deg F, the CHTs sit around 90 deg C in flight, but increase to around 100 deg C after shutdown, as shown on my data dumps. The EGTs drop rapidly after shutdown, while the oil temp remains constant.

Does anyone leave the oil access door open for cooling after shutdown? I notice a number of other RVs - those with Lyc's - seem to do that.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Yes, Bob

I prop my oil door open after burping the engine and checking the oil at the end of each flight. It takes a WHOLE lot less turns to burp the Rotax when it's hot (harder to pull through, though) and if there's no puddle on the floor it's still there for the next flight. Incidentally, unlike what most of you are reporting, I use about 200 ml every 10-15 hours.

Wayne 120241.143WM (200-hour inspection this week)

Back