What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax vs Ethanol?

Rolly9

Did I see an article in Sport Aviation comparing the 0 - 200, and the Rotax?
It seems it said that the Rotax could use Hi-Test, ethanol free Mogas. It also seemed to say that it could run on Avgas, but it caused lead fouling or something. What about the Rotax in the -12? Can it not run on Mogas with ethanol? If not, how does one get the ethanol out of the gasoline?
Rolly

The Rotax can run on AVgas but its not really fond of lead and prefers car gas. It doesn't like Ethanol any more than your car or lawnmower does but will fly fine with it. The guys in Iowa (the subsidized corn state) don't have a prayer of finding non-ethanol and seem to do fine, but I'll let them speak for themselves. Rotax has approved up to 10% I believe because that's what they use in Europe...or is it 5%? The problem with Ethanol is that it hates aluminum and rubber and lowers the efficiency (mpg) of your fuel...all in the name of a different (not cheaper) way to raise octane.

Ethanol

Rotax says up to 10% ethanol is ok. I have used it before. Never had a problem. Ethanol is better than 100LL as far as the oil goes. Ethanol will absorb small amounts of water, and it will go thru fine. ( can be a plus ). Still check it for water for sure. Most of us use a "mr funnel" and filter the gas into another container before it goes in the tank.

John Bender

Don't we have aluminum fuel tanks? What is this going to do to us? All of the MoGas around me seems to be 10% ethanol.

Have you tested your mogas?

Have any of you tested your mogas?

I keep a tester in my truck and every so often I test the regular mogas I pump and even on pumps marked "May contain 10% ethanol" have come up clean. I have done those tests in NC, SC, GA, and TN.

That doesn't mean all stations have E-Free fuel but many seem to.

It's not the tanks but the hoses and seals that it screws with unless you planned for ethanol which I would imagine Van's did on the -12.

The 912 likes Mogas better than avgas. However, it will run fine on avgas - the original DA-20A1 Katanas operated for thousands of hours on 100LL without serious problems. 100LL will reduce TBO and the lead shows up in the gearbox.

Also remember that 100LL has no real storage life, whereas Mogas should be used within about 2 weeks. If I know the plane is going to sit, I'll either blend mogas and 100LL or just use 100LL.

TODR

I just had 300 gal of premium delivered to the farm here for my 12. The station I was getting it at did not have the pumps marked 10% .Guess what? I tested it an it had 10% ethanol. So I found a supplier that had the right stuff and had 300 gal delivered. Should I add Stabil to the 300 gals?? There is no way I will burn it up in 2 weeks. I have been told by an former Areoshell guy that the premium gas starts breaking down at about 6 months.

Any ideas??

Brad Stiefvater
Salem SD 65 hours on the meter now.

Stabil

Brad,

It usually gets gummy in 30 to 60 days and Stabil will help it last up to two years if done as they say. I use it...get it at the local automotive store...most carry it.

Stabil & Stale Gas

I wondered about Stabil for the Rotax...I use Stabil for 91-octane used in my Vespa scooter...also the Flo-Fast pump system (there's a photo in a post today) which I ordered allows pumping backwards to withdraw stale gas already in the tank...then forward pump it back into an auto/truck and nothing wasted. I like the idea of Stabil though and wonder if there is an"official" position on using it in Rotax. Appreciate any relavent info.

Also been wondering about Stabil. I've been using it for years in all my small motor applications, and now they are advertising a new formulation designed for the 10% ethanol mix. If this stuff works and doesn't hurt the Rotax it would solve a lot of problems in using the car gas.

At a recent safety seminar in Springfield, IL, Phil Lockwood was one of the speakers. His 912ULS presentation was very good.

In the presentation, he recommended the use of StaBil if the fuel sits for a period of time.

Back