What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ROTAX SB on oil pump bolt torque, Jan 2012

Bill_H

Well Known Member
Patron
ROTAX Service Bulletin ASB-912-060UL
Issued Jan 26, 2012

Rotax releases a MANDATORY Alert Service Bulletin

ASB-912-060/914-043 Checking of the oil pump fixing bolts for correct torque

This Alert Service Bulletin affects a small number of recently produced 912 & 914 series engines which may have an issue with inadequate torque on the oil pump fixation bolts. Checking of these fixation bolts for correct torque and any signs of oil leakage must be conducted before next engine run or flight. Serial numbers of engines affected can be found within the Bulletin for your specific 912 or 914 engine series type. If your engine was produced before September 2011, it is not affected by this ASB. In any case, the engine serial number is always the final reference.

+++++
My Summary:
Check to see if the oil pump is leaking and check the bolt torque.

Serial numbers for 912ULS
are 6,778,908 to 6,788,932
and 6,778,934 to 6,778,958
and 6,779,478 to 6,779,502
and 6,779,504 to 6,669,511

If the pump is leaking and the bolts are loose, there are other checks to make.

Logbook Entry for SB...

Although the consensus seems to be that logbook entries are technically not required for any Service Bulletins on experimentals I am logging them all;).

In the case of the Rotax bulletins I log them in the pages especially provided in the nifty Rotax Logbook supplied with the engine:cool:. In this case, ASB Number, note that the engine S/N is not affected, date, signature, RI number. I also make a copy of the SB, punch it and keep it in an engine 3-ring binder of documentation where the logbook also resides.

This could sure save a lot of research, possibly cash and headaches later, IMHO.

Tony

I agree - a great plan - making someone's pre-buy inspection very easy in the far future. But I am using loose leaf notebooks instead - one for airframe/avionics and one for engine/prop - as logbooks with dividers for the sections. I don't like the typical little engine logbooks. I like it all in one place, not separate books. For example, for the Engine Service Bulletin Tab, I can have a summary listing each bulletin and resolution, then copies of the actual bulletins after that. On the bulletin itself I note the engine serial number making it really easy to see the (so-far) inapplicability.

Back