What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax costs

drfred

I had so much fun building my RV10 over the last 3 years. Now getting bored and starting to think about building a RV 12. I can't seem to find a good site on costs for a Rotax engine. Anybody have current information on the cost for a new Rotax 912 ULS or used engine? I'm sure Van will offer the engine at some time in the future, but doesn't help with the planning.

Dr Fred
515FW 35 hrs and counting. What a great machine!

RANS lists current prices for the 80 Hp 912UL at $15,900 and the 100Hp 912ULS at $17,700. I suspect these have gone down slightly with the changing dollar / euro exchange rate, but that's a general ballpark.

Lockwood and CPS would also be places to call for pricing.

TODR

The Euro

In fact...the Euro is dropping like a rock against the dollar...today is the best comparison of the last four months. I'm sure Van is watching it closely and will be buying engines accordingly. I notice that Jabiru in Australia has already lowered their prices significantly.

Pete
RV12 Fuse parts in hand

Where to buy Rotax 912 in Euros?

Hi,

Has anyone seen an impact of the higher dollar against the Euro on the price of Rotax engines yet?

Thanks, Jim

Rotax Engine Costs The U of K

In a leap of faith, before Vans intimated that you have to buy everything from them, I bought the engine. At todays cost with the current Dollar rate, including the dreaded 17.5% UK VAT my engine cost equates to appox $ 16,500. I cannot see the logic of any European buyer getting an engine from Vans (shipping BACK to Europe plus the punitive European taxes - I don't think so!!)

Boy, I don't know the intrinsic value of a Rotax, but it sure is nice to hear a number around $16K after planning for the cost of a Lycoming 360 in an RV7!!

No VAT in U.S.

The cost of the Rotax 912 should actually be considerable LESS than $16K in the U.S. since we don't have to pay VAT.

With the more favorable exchange rate for those of us in the U.S., has anyone received any information from Van's with respect to the availability and purchase of the Rotax for the RV-12? I am sure that the company is monitoring the current price of the engine, but I have not seen anything in print that would indicate availability and potential price and that in fact, Van's is monitoring the situation.

Thought I would ask the direct question here and then, if necessary, e-mail Van's with the question.

Any financial experts out there that have any idea what the future looks like with respect to the exchange rate in the coming months??

Still waiting for the fuselage here, empenage is on order.

The USD Tends to Climb with Recession/Economic Uncertainty

Well I am not a trader, but I have watched the USD relative to other currencies for a while. With the understanding that past events do not predict the future, there are two broad past trends for the dollar that I think are relevant.

1) The USD tends to not be volatile, it generally follows a trend for years without reversing course.

2) The USD usually goes up relative to other currencies in recession or times of economic uncertainty.

Based on the above, it is my very humble opinion that the dollar should trend up for the next few years.

Reversal: If the new administration comes on strong with lots of inflationary policies like cap and trade, higher corporate taxes and expensive socialized medicine that could cause flight of capital and reverse the trend.

Given that a lot of the rest of the world thinks these ideas are sound, it makes sense to me that their capital will not flee in the face of these policies; this is why I think a stronger USD is the more likely scenario.

Hans

Back