What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax Bolt/Loctite Queston

Bob Kibby

Well Known Member
I remember reading a Rotax post which suggested that you break loose a bolt on the engine and then re-torque it before mounting the engine. Apparently loctite was used on the threads.

I thought I save the post but cannot find it. Any link or info on this appreciated. Getting close to mounting the engine.

Bob Kibby

Bob,

You may be referring to the magnetic plug on the side of the engine. I received the "new" style plug. It has a hex head so you can remove it with a socket vs. the old style plug which required an allen wrench.

I did not break it loose and retorque.

I agree, sounds like the mag plug. Try and loosen it before running the engine. If it doesn't come nicely, use heat, and there are lots of good tips on this; just search. Make sure there is VERY good fit with your driver (mine is a torx head) and the bolt or you'll strip it. The mag plug has a very coarse thread.

Also, this bolt is drilled for safety wire, but there is nowhere obvious to wire it to. Drill one of the bolts above it and wire it shut. (I'll get a photo later this week when I'm at the hangar).

TODR

2 places to safety wire

On the very bottom of the engine there are 2 small holes that can be used for the oil relief plug and the magnetic plug. I safety wired mine there. Seemed to be what they were for.

John Bender

Back