What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax and avionics costs - Help

spriteah

Hello fellow builders,

I am starting to get ready to purchase my finish kit but am somewhat confused at other items I need and the costs.

Firstly the engine on vans pricing is $27,300? But I find the 912ULS advertised for around the $18,000 mark elsewhere? Am I missing something? Does it come with needed accesories?

Secondly the Avionics appears very pricey also at just under $14,000. Again is there a need for this high figure. I do my sums and think I can source Skyview 10 and needed components for around $9000. I would appreciate some advice from those that have travelled this road before me. I'm not flush with cash so looking at my options so I can finish this great machine, fly it a little then sell it so I can start to feed the kids again.

Regards,

Jim of Victoria.

The Engine Kit from Van's is a full firewall-forward installation. It contains all the additional things you need to complete the engine installation, i.e. radiator, oil cooler, install-ready hoses, the prop, throttle cables, etc..
The same is true for the Avionics Kit. It contains ready-to-install wire harnesses, the radio, the switch panels, antennas, and more.

Hello fellow builders,

I am starting to get ready to purchase my finish kit but am somewhat confused at other items I need and the costs.

Firstly the engine on vans pricing is $27,300? But I find the 912ULS advertised for around the $18,000 mark elsewhere? Am I missing something? Does it come with needed accesories?

Secondly the Avionics appears very pricey also at just under $14,000. Again is there a need for this high figure. I do my sums and think I can source Skyview 10 and needed components for around $9000. I would appreciate some advice from those that have travelled this road before me. I'm not flush with cash so looking at my options so I can finish this great machine, fly it a little then sell it so I can start to feed the kids again.

Regards,

Jim of Victoria.

If you went the amateur build route rather than the ELSA, I am not sure if you would save any money, especially when you count the time savings and frustration. The kit from Van's is complete.
It is like pricing out all the big components for an RV-7 and thinking they are 65k but spending 90k by the time your done.

I considered it actually a bargain to go with the Vans kit, even though I was EAB and in a hurry, I waited for the Vans Avionics kit and am quite glad I did.

Rotax and Avionics Costs

Jim,

Great questions. No right answer but you will get lots of opinions. I can provide one data point, having just finished the Van's prescribed checkout sheets (PAP) and signed off my ELSA RV12 last week. About nine months ago I was at the point you are now. But I came at it with the experience of building a "heavy" RV6 (heavy means 180hp constant speed, IFR stuff) 1989-99.

At the time I was EXTREMELY frustrated with Van's for locking out alternatives while not providing the Skyview avionics package. Also, the idea of a firewall forward package that cost more than a nicely equipped new Chevy seemed nuts to me. So I looked very carefully at the alternatives. On balance, I am happy with my decision to stay ELSA. The Van's RV12 package went together with a minimum of hassle, works well and seems to do what Van's says it will do.

The decision comes down to money, time and how you enjoy spending your time. With the ELSA I spent more money ($5,000 - $10,000??), maybe more. Probably the resulting package is worth more, I do not really know. I saved a lot of time (35 hours of flight test, probably 100 -200 hours of getting parts together, figuring out wiring and firewall forward issues and sourcing parts). So I am flying some number of months sooner, and I like flying. I also like having a common experience with other builders with essentially the same airplane, problems, etc.

That said, if I were to do another RV12, I would be very tempted to do it as an EAB, changing both the engine and avionics. I say this because I have good memories of working out the details on the RV6 and making it exactly like I wanted it. I understand what is in the RV6 and if want to change something I can, and have.

So far, with the RV12, I don't like some of the features I had to accept to be ELSA (the spring loaded throttle mechanism, "burping" the oil, waiting for the oil to warm up, the spar pin warning system, what I consider absolutely horrible ROTAX documentation, catching my jeans on the useless warning vane (why not AOA?), switch and power modules which do functions I do not understand and which are inflexible - half the switches have no function in my RV). I will change some of those items and will learn to live with the others.

On balance, it is going to work out fine for me. I think the RV12 can be a great product either way you go. Good luck with your decision.

I replaced with weaker throttle springs - VERY HAPPY! The AOA can be added for about $12. Works great. Both things are well documented in this forum. I still haven't figured out the lighted switches though...

Jim, you could source a new or used Rotax locally and buy the rest of the FWF package from Van's, but find out how much credit you will get back from Vans for the Rotax first. You may be surprised. I know one builder who is installing a used low-hour Rotax, and there is another in your neck of the woods who installed his own Skyview system, so it can obviously be done. It may be worth talking to them before deciding. PM me your contact details and I can put you in touch if you like.

Hi Jim & builders, my kit is being delivered today & yesterday I addedup the money spent so far, & what is still to spend on the avionics & engine packages. Like you it went through my mind that I could find an engine & avionics here in Aust.& save some money, but for me following through with Van's is the way to go. I do have faith in them as a company, & I went with the '12 because "every thing is in the boxes apart from paint, oil & fuel" as they say. This must save large amounts of time & hassle.. I think an aircraft done exactly to Van's specifications will tend to hold it's value better as well. As a person of a certain age I am also keen to get flying, but also enjoy the build without it blowing out to years & years . Many thanks to all of you guys who have done it & who share your knowledge with us "newbies" - we are learning heaps!! Dino...

hi I had the same thoughts but when you add up all the bits you get with the engine from vans is is a pretty good deal ie engine cradle, mounts, radiators ,hoses, cables, battery, solenoids , sensors etc
but I did build my own panel using the skyview as it was not available when I ordered the kit
where are you located we are in hazelwood north and am up to about 220 flying hours now on the 12
ashley

Back