What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 915iS

FGPotter1952

I'm New Here
Is there any information (rumors) of which aircraft Van's is going to support this engine in?:)

lurking,learning, trying to budget.

I doubt they are planning on anything, but that engine would rock in the -9(A)!

I wouldn't want one in a -9A. Not enough power, too much ballast would be required and would cost way too much.

A 915iS in a -12 would be amazing! Someone should do it soon!

I wouldn't want one in a -9A. Not enough power, too much ballast would be required and would cost way too much.

A 915iS in a -12 would be amazing! Someone should do it soon!

Guys...this is a e-las...what are you thinking of. The 912 will take to the limits..

That's why I am saying the -9. It can be built with an O-235, so a lightweight 135HP with a turbo would smoke at altitude. Yes, ballast or a longer-than-normal nose may be needed, but it would be a smoking machine at 12-17,500 feet.

Ballast? ballast

That's why I am saying the -9. It can be built with an O-235, so a lightweight 135HP with a turbo would smoke at altitude. Yes, ballast or a longer-than-normal nose may be needed, but it would be a smoking machine at 12-17,500 feet.

....weeee don' neeeeeed NO steeenkin' ballast.....

now, ammo bay????........smoke oil tank????, NOW you're talkin'. :D

( pulls Walter Mitty helmet tightly over ears....."bogey, on your six.....chaff.....flares.....switchin' to guns! "

Guys...this is a e-las...what are you thinking of. The 912 will take to the limits..

Not everyone builds a RV-12 as an E-LSA. :cool: There's always room for experimentation. That said, a 915 would almost certainly take the RV-12 out of the light sport category. A 912is, however... :D

There is a 915is RV9 registered to Vans Inc... they said they abandoned the project because of W&B, the motor would have to be forward mounted too far to make sense... the RV9 was indeed the best fit, but still doesn't workout they said... it will not happen

Not everyone builds a RV-12 as an E-LSA. :cool: There's always room for experimentation. That said, a 915 would almost certainly take the RV-12 out of the light sport category. A 912is, however... :D

I know of a couple of RV-12's built with the UL-350IS motor package, at 130 HP, normally aspirated. Let's just say it's a very, very good performing E-AB RV-12.

It's nice to go fast and have lots of vertical climb but it's also very important to remember Vne is measured in true airspeed - not indicated airspeed. Stock RV-12 can come pretty close to Vne if not careful. Designers specify Vne for very good reason...

Back