What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912ULS Price reduction ??

Paris12Man

Well Known Member
I received the following info in an e-mail from "Leading Edge Air Foils" :eek:.... Notice the price for a new 912 ULS. I wonder if this is the same engine that our RV12 has? Maybe we will see a reduction in the future??:eek:

ROTAX? ENGINE PRICE REDUCTION!
Effective July 1, 2010

NEW ROTAX?
4-Stroke Aircraft Engines
912 UL 80HP..............................$16,108.00
912 ULS 100HP.........................$17,906.00
914 UL 115HP............................$29,589.00

Euro

These things are from Austria and priced in Euros. A !3,500 Euro engine in late Dec of 09 would convert to $21,000 U.S. dollars. Today, the same 13,500 Euro engine converts to $17,000 U.S. dollars.

I realize the pricing is not tied solely to the Euro because you are dealing with a distributor in the Bahamas supplying dealers in the U.S. so there are many factors and profit taking.

But yes, it is interesting to watch the price change with the fall of the Euro against the dollar.

The one I don't understand is why is the Turbo 914 TWICE the price of the 912...it just can't be twice as good! Or can it?

Parhapes the difference in price is based on who is buying the 914?

Now who might be using a lot of 914?

Just a thought.

- Dave

The price for the 912ULS sounds about right.

The 914 shares a lot of parts with the 912, but there are difference. The production rate is lot lower. The only production airplane that I know of that uses the 914 is the HK36 (Diamona) TTS Motorglider, although you can get it with the 912S as well.

TODR

I received the following info in an e-mail from "Leading Edge Air Foils" :eek:.... Notice the price for a new 912 ULS. I wonder if this is the same engine that our RV12 has? Maybe we will see a reduction in the future??:eek:

ROTAX? ENGINE PRICE REDUCTION!
Effective July 1, 2010

NEW ROTAX?
4-Stroke Aircraft Engines
912 UL 80HP..............................$16,108.00
912 ULS 100HP.........................$17,906.00
914 UL 115HP............................$29,589.00

I'm soooo tempted to buy one outright, keep it buttoned up and then turn it around when the price goes back up. Or just part it out - then you could probably double your money!

Yes, it's the fall in the EUR against the USD (which probably won't last of course)....

LS

What makes you think the Euro will go back up??
The strong economy in Greece?
I would wait for further reductions in price.

Buy here Vs. Vans

Are there a lot of other parts in the "Powerplant" kit from Vans for the Rv12? If not, then aren't we looking at a price difference between $26985 (Vans) and $17906 (Leading Edge Air Foils) and that's assuming their price is in U.S. dollars. Makes me think about going EAB and saving the dollars.... What am I missing here??

Hey Steve

That price is for a complete FWF kit. There are lots of other parts included. One big one that comes to mind is the prop.

John Bender

That price is for a complete FWF kit. There are lots of other parts included. One big one that comes to mind is the prop.

John Bender

John is correct. Most of the accessories are not included in the engine price...radiator, oil cooler, exhaust system, fuel pump, control cables, regulator to name a few. They are available but usually considered "options". Van's set up is turn-key.

to put some fuel on the fire ;-)

What makes you think the Euro will go back up??
The strong economy in Greece?
I would wait for further reductions in price.

The Euro will go up due too the "strong" economy in the States.
I was told that that the new name for the USA will be New-China in a few years.

The Euro will go up due too the "strong" economy in the States.
I was told that that the new name for the USA will be New-China in a few years.

You beat me to it... ;). Basically, it's a race condition between the USD and the rest including the EUR to see who can become the most worthless in the least amount of time. The EUR is just a little bit ahead is all....

I did notice the 2-strokes' prices didn't change at all, only the 912 series. So may be some other factors in play too.....

But boy is it tempting to run down to the bank......

LS

I'm soooo tempted to buy one outright, keep it buttoned up and then turn it around when the price goes back up. Or just part it out - then you could probably double your money!

Yes, it's the fall in the EUR against the USD (which probably won't last of course)....

LS

Remember that Rotax's warranty starts from when they manufacture the engine, not when it is installed and/or ran for the first time. I wouldn't recommend buying an engine until the very last possible moment.

FWF Price Reduction

Saw this last night. It is about $800 less that what it was for those who are interested in how much it dropped.

Jeff

Back