What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912 Oil Quantiy

JohnF

Well Known Member
How many quarts or liters of oil are put into the 912 system (I know its a dry sump but wondered how much oil is initially installed.)

Close to - - - -

3 1/2 Ltrs. seems petty close. That will get you to about 1/2 way on the stick after you burp it.

John Bender

they say width of the flat part of the "stick" is half a liter. have you noticed yet how many more times you have to turn the prop to burp it when its cold...my highest yet is 73.

they say width of the flat part of the "stick" is half a liter. have you noticed yet how many more times you have to turn the prop to burp it when its cold...my highest yet is 73.

I have found that it takes fewer turns if you stop at TDC on each compression stroke and just let the cyl pressure fully bleed down past the rings.
When the oil is real cold it still take quite a few cylinders but it is at least fewer than if you flip it fast.

Agree with cold oil - -

Best thing to do is burp it when you are done flying. Compression is high, and oil is thin.

John Bender

Duh...now you tell me John. Too funny. Thats one of those "why didn't I think of that!"

Eeeyikes..... Be extremely careful here - a hot engine can fire under just the right circumstances. Much more dangerous, the 912's are shut down like auto engines by killing the ignition, not cutting off the fuel like a traditional a/c engine. so you still have gas in those hot combustion chambers at shutdown which hugely adds to the danger when hot.

Personally, I don't dare go near the prop on my 912 for at least a half hour.

Turning the prop through slowly is the best way to burp the engine and, if you value your life, do it only when the engine is cold!.....

LS

Last edited:
For those of us in the COLD

If it is winter in this part of the world, by the time you get the plane back inside the hanger, it is cool enough to turn over. Have done it for years. Have not heard of such a situation, but maybe.

John Bender

Can't you just leave the mags off and hit the starter button with the master switch on? That will crank it over and keep your hands away. Maybe the 12 is wired up different from how I did my plane with a 912 in it.

Don't think so

You need the compression to leak past the rings to push the oil back to the tank, thus slow is better. The starter turns it too fast, while pumping in more oil, and not bleeding as much compression.

John Bender

If it is winter in this part of the world, by the time you get the plane back inside the hanger, it is cool enough to turn over. Have done it for years. Have not heard of such a situation, but maybe.

John Bender

You're probably ok if you turn it over slowly enough that only a little compression builds up on the compression strokes, but I guess I'm just paranoid. All it takes is some cheap gas and a still-smouldering bit of metal or carbon deposit in a cylinder and it could all be over just like that.....

If the motor is so cold at preflight that it takes forever to burp, it probably shouldn't be started without being preheated anyway. Fortunately, the 912 is a small motor and only takes a couple hours at most to get to a good starting temp (I use a $15 space heater hung on the prop shaft blowing onto the engine with an old down coat over the top of it). For the RV, a preheater is a snap to make with a space heater and some dryer duct...

LS

I have found that it takes fewer turns if you stop at TDC on each compression stroke and just let the cyl pressure fully bleed down past the rings.
When the oil is real cold it still take quite a few cylinders but it is at least fewer than if you flip it fast.

Scott...how cool...I did that today (same weather) and it only took 30...you cut my turning in half! Thanks for the tip.

I am probably over thinking this, but...

Is there any detriment to having all the oil in the oil tank while the aircraft/engine is sitting there for an extended (more than a day) time?

I thought that the oil provided some corrosion prevention between runs. If you burp the engine soon after running, it seems to me there would be little in the engine itself.

Like I said, I am probably over thinking the issue.

Joe Hutchison

P.S. Flew with Mitch Lock while home on R&R and he is a true ambassador to RVs and the RV-12. I was pretty sure I wanted RV-12, but he removed any doubts. Thanks Mitch.

Is there any detriment to having all the oil in the oil tank while the aircraft/engine is sitting there for an extended (more than a day) time?

I thought that the oil provided some corrosion prevention between runs. If you burp the engine soon after running, it seems to me there would be little in the engine itself.

Like I said, I am probably over thinking the issue.

Joe Hutchison

P.S. Flew with Mitch Lock while home on R&R and he is a true ambassador to RVs and the RV-12. I was pretty sure I wanted RV-12, but he removed any doubts. Thanks Mitch.

The engine will still have oil in all the gallies, oil pump, hoses, bearings, etc., it just doesn't have any oil laying in the bottom of the engine case (which doesn't protect any internal parts any way. After the airplane sits for a while, siphon action will drain some oil back into the crank case. That is the reason you need to "burp" the engine to get an accurate oil level measurement in the oil tank.

I normally add 3L of the Shell semi-synthetic after oil changes, a few ounces to pre-oil the filter and the rest in the tank. Always seems to come out Ok. Rotax spec is 3L exactly. Too much oil and it will come out the oil tank breather.

As for burping vs not burping, I always look at the oil level first. If it's within the acceptable range, I don't burp the baby. There is some good history on the acceptable oil level and burping in some of the "Power ON" columns that Phil Lockwood wrote for EAA.

TODR

This burping of the 912 is interesting to me. I have about 1100 hours between 2 912's I owned, and I never burped them once. I always checked the oil level after shutdown to make sure I had the right quantity. Yes, it would be lower than that on the preflight the following week, but unless there was a puddle of oil on the floor or in the cowling, I assumed it was still all in the oil system. I don't like turning props on engines by hand. I still have nightmares over one gone awry many years ago.
As for preflights, I never understood them for airplanes that you own and only you flyand are in a secured location, like your own hangar or home). I always do a thorough postflight and a cursory preflight. I'd rather find something wrong with it on the post flight and have time to go fix it rather than find it on the preflight when I want to go flying.

Vic

Hey Vic

I owed a 912S before. I found that if I had a long slow taxi back to the hanger, oil would build up in the engine more than when operating at normal RPM. I feel it is due to less ring leakage on a hot engine, and was normal. If you burped it, it would come up by as much as a 1/2 qt. ( From below the mark on the stick, to near the top of the mark on the stick ). My experience has also been that they use oil for the first few hours. If you don't burp them, you really don't know what your total oil amount in the system is.

John Bender

Back