What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912. Does it need to be flown as often as a Lycoming?

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Sorry for this being somewhat off topic, but I am considering purchasing an aircraft with a Rotax 912 ULS installed. It only has 40 hours since it first ran in 2017 (it's a Powered Parachute, not an RV-12) . If this was a Lycoming I would definitely view the lack of time on the engine as a negative. Are the Rotax engines the same in that they should be flown often, or are there unique properties to these engines which might make them more resistant to corrosion, seals wearing out, etc. Other than a compression check are there other things to focus on with a little flown 912 like this? Thanks in advance!

Sorry for this being somewhat off topic, but I am considering purchasing an aircraft with a Rotax 912 ULS installed. It only has 40 hours since it first ran in 2017 (it's a Powered Parachute, not an RV-12) . If this was a Lycoming I would definitely view the lack of time on the engine as a negative. Are the Rotax engines the same in that they should be flown often, or are there unique properties to these engines which might make them more resistant to corrosion, seals wearing out, etc. Other than a compression check are there other things to focus on with a little flown 912 like this? Thanks in advance!

The inside of the engine case is not directly vented to the atmosphere, so it is somewhat shielded from the exposure that a Lycoming has.
There will still be two cylinders that have had valves open to some degree which does make the interior of those cylinders exposed to the ambient atmosphere, but at least those can easily be inspected with a bore scope.
I am not familiar with any specific seals or other parts that are particularly vulnerable while sitting other than within the fuel system, but if it has been sitting idle for quite a while, it probably would be a good idea to plan on replacing all of that. All the rubber parts in the carburetors in particular.
Quite a few of the plated parts, on the exterior of the engine, have a history of rust/corrosion from long-term exposure, so the exterior appearance should give you at least some clue as to what the storage conditions have been like.

Does this engine currently run? If so, does it idle normally? If the answer to either question is no, plan on overhauling both carburetors. This engine has air cooled cylinders but has liquid cooled cylinder heads. Query the owner as to if/when the coolant was last changed. Make sure that it was changed within Rotax's recommended time line. It does not need to be run as often as a Lycoming.

All engines suffer from disuse, especially if outside. If you are going to store it you have to pickle it. With that said I did an RV12 check out. The owner took two weeks off. When went to go fly his RV-12iS sitting on ramp for 2 weeks, it took 30 to 40 blades to burp the engine to get oil back into sump. When a Rotax sits sump oil fills engine case. You have to do this burp as you may know to get accurate oil level check.

Back