What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotating beacon

BobCollins(AA)

Well Known Member
I am looking for rotating beacon to install at the top of VS on my 7A. I looked at the beacon from Aeroled but it looks to big to install on the VS.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Me too!

Bob

I too am looking to put a beacon on the vertical stab and on the belly. I just like the use of beacons on the ground and beacons/strobes in the air. I looked at Whelen at Osh this week, however I need to do some additional research. I have even sketched up a new fairing for the vertical stab but really don't want to pursue that approach. I'll let you know if I have any success.

Ruley
ATP
Lafayette IN
N277PM
RV-7A
YouTube Pbr47906

My installation is similar, but I recessed the light on a step in the fin tip fairing, which I covered with a piece of clear plexiglas. Here's a link to the light I used:

http://www.strobesnmore.com/whelen-vertex-hide-a-way-super-led.html

My intent was to simply advise other pilots on a dark ramp that my engine is running so as not to blind them with my strobes. It works using an ON-OFF-ON switch with my strobes so either the beacon or strobe can be used, but not both at the same time.

I wasn't expecting it to meet night anti-collision lighting requirements as that's what the strobes do. Because of the recessed mount, the light viewed directly forward and directly aft is blocked. But, at night, it puts out plenty of light for others to see. When taking the runway for takeoff, I turn on the strobes which turns the beacon off. If you're interested in a picture, send me a PM with your email address.

Mike

Last edited:
Whelen makes a neat little red strobe light that simply has a red magnifying lense instead of the typical clear. Should easily fit on the top of the fin. I use one on the belly hooked to the aux chanel on the 413 power supply. With a on-off-on switch jumpered appropriately, I have "off" in the down position, "belly" in the middle, and "all" in the up position.

http://www.skygeek.com/whelen-01-0770821-03-strobe-lt-assy-red.html

Last edited:
I've been thinking about making a Lexan replacement for the fiberglass VS cap, and just putting a red LED lamp in there -- the kind available to replace automotive brake lights. There are cheap ones available that have a bunch of surface mount LEDS that would make a great beacon for use on the ramp. A simple flasher circuit would do the trick.

2013-03-01_22-09-09_912-290x300.jpg

Last edited:
I found this website for led beacon. Has anyone use this product

http://www.kestrobes.com/beacon.htm

Bob, I installed that beacon on the top of my fuselage. The airplane was just about finished and I did not want to tear up the top of the vertical stab or deal with a challenging wire run at that point, so that is why I put it where I did. I think the top of the VS would be the best location. I am very happy with it and have had no problems. Airplane is almost five years old with nearly 700 hours.

Rotating Beacon

Bob, I installed that beacon on the top of my fuselage. The airplane was just about finished and I did not want to tear up the top of the vertical stab or deal with a challenging wire run at that point, so that is why I put it where I did. I think the top of the VS would be the best location. I am very happy with it and have had no problems. Airplane is almost five years old with nearly 700 hours.

David,
Thanks for the info. Do you have picture of your install?

If you only fly during the day, it is not required.
If you fly at night you must have an "approved anti-collision light system".
This can be met by using a red beacon(s), or strobes. There are all sorts of rules about brightness, viewing from various angles, etc.

Beacon or anti collision lights

91.205 and 91.209 are the references I found.

The way i read these sections - after a certain certification date if flown at night anti-collision lights must be installed.

If installed on an aircraft the anti-collision lights must be operated UNLESS:
- in PIC Opinion the lights create a distraction or other unsafe condition
Or
-the airplane is being ferried to have the anti-collision lights fixed.

The only lights that MUST ALWAYS be on during night time are the position lights.

Technique only -- during night operations I operate beacon at all times if it is not distracting. Strobes only from takeoff roll through landing roll - Never while taxiing or other ground operation, or in weather that causes excess reflected light into cockpit - both of the strobe off situations fall under the PIC exemption.

One thing to consider when mounting anti-collision lighting to the top of vertical stab is reflection off the wing when flying at night. This can be very irritation.

Is a red beacon required?

The simple answer is "No".

In fact, unless you fly at night, you don't need any lights.

For night flying, most RV's have wing tip and tail strobes along with red, green, and white position lights. (Landing lights are optional. Recommended by many but still optional.) Very few RV's have beacons.

If you install appropriate position - strobe lights in the wing tip cutouts and on the bottom of the rudder, you are good to go. One major advantage of these locations is that you don't have to worry about the reflection off the wings or in the clouds, as described by Mel.

It might not be required but how does one indicate that the engine is about to come alive? Using strobe lights might be a overkill during the day and have a blinding effect at night.

It might not be required but how does one indicate that the engine is about to come alive? .

You yell "Clear!!" ;)

Seriously though, most folks use the strobes on RV's since very few have a red flasher. I have the strobes on the RV-8 set up so I can do all three, or just the tail - I use just the tail as a substitute for a rotating beacon on the ground.

It might not be required but how does one indicate that the engine is about to come alive? Using strobe lights might be a overkill during the day and have a blinding effect at night.
What Paul said and turn on your stobes. After the engine is running you can always turn them off until you roll on to the runway.

So the 30 second reduced intensity strobes on my nifty new Ztron lights might be useful after all.

Yeah, I thought about putting a red beacon on the tail, but eventually decided that looking around the area, sliding the canopy back and yelling "CLEAR!" would do it.

1. Cheaper?
2. Your assertion isn't true. I've been in a 172RG that came from the factory with just strobes.

Back