What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotary tools - review

Mike D

Well Known Member
Just thought I would give a quick review of the new rotary tool I have been using. I have never given a review of a tool before but this was so good I just wanted others to know.

I have used Dremel brand rotary tools for years. I had a very old one that worked great. I had to sell it when I moved to Hong Kong (different power). Because Dremel had worked so well before, I bought a new Dremel tool ($99) and burned it up in a few hours. I thought this was a lemon, so I bought a another Dremel. It lasted about 5-8 hours in 2-5 min. spurts working on aluminum. This was upsetting to say the least.

I bought one from Harbor freight and it lasted all of 2 min. Returned. :)

So, I did some research and finally bought a Black and Decker RTX-6. It works great!! Twice the power of the Dremel brand and at $33 from Amazon, it is 1/3 the price. Can't beat that.

I continued on the same piece of aluminum was cutting when the Dremel went bad, and used the same cutting disk. The result was a straighter cut (less jumping of the tool) and the tool did not even heat up.

It says it is 3-speed but it is really a multi speed with indents at low, med, high.

I still use all my Dremel attachments with the B&D.

The B&D roatery tool is a great buy!

Good timing! My Dremel is getting intermittent again and I was thinking about either replacing it or having it repaired. I guess I'm replacing it with the B&D.

Thanks

Air tool anyone?

I gave up on Dremel after smoking a couple of them some time ago.

I found a $19 air powered "pencil" grinder at Home Depo a few years back. Same 1/8" chuck.
I have beat the **** out of it. It shows the abuse and I will need a new one in a year or so but the Dremel would never have made it

Back