What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rosie & Tuppergal visit Princess Diana and the Queen Mary

Rosie

Well Known Member
We started 2013 with ~3550 hours on the hobbs meter, and since our first flight, our plane has been our 'magic carpet' that has taken back and forth across the country (and to other countries) more times than we can count. With the price of fuel always on the rise, we have found ourselves foregoing the shorter trips so that we can take longer trips. However, there are always exceptions...

With Los Angeles right over the hill within an hours drive from home, we've spent our entire life driving to visit some of SoCAL's famous destination spots including Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm and the Queen Mary.

I can't remember the last time we've visited any of these places, but an e-mail came my way telling me that A Royal Exhibition was coming to town: Diana, Legacy of a Princess.

Tuppergal has always been a BIG fan of Princess Diana, and with Valentine's day right around the corner, I thought I'd surprise her with a trip to the Queen Mary to see the exhibition. Anybody who's married can tell you how important it is to keep your spouse happy, no matter how small or big the gesture...I knew that I'd earn 'brownie points' with this one!

Now if you are familiar with the Antelope Valley drive 'down below', the thought of driving to Long Beach via Highway 14 then Interstate 405 (or 5) on a Friday morning, then driving home on a Friday evening....for you "Tool Time' Fans: I don't think so Tim.....

But....Long Beach airport is about 10 miles away from the Queen Mary...Yes, this I would do...30 minutes in the RV versus 2.5-3.5 hours each way by car! Done Deal! I called Avis directly and asked if they had any 'specials' for using a rental car for maybe 5 or 6 hours...no problem, $15/day and the car is there now...I like it!

We departed Rosamond (L00) under clear skies at 1000, were on the AirFlite ramp at Long Beach at 1030 ($10 ramp fee), drove away at 1045, enjoyed the exhibition (which even I thought was FACINATING!), had an early dinner in downtown Long Beach at 1600, back to the airport by 1715, airborne at 1735 with a very happy wife home relaxing and the RV back in the hangar by 1815. Thank you Van's Aircraft!

Here's the Antelope Valley looking northeast with Rosamond Dry Lake (left) and Edwards AFB (Muroc Dry Lake) in the distance:

Princess_Diana01.jpg

This is a view looking south and is the shortest distance across the San Gabriel Mountains (at 9.5K) direct El Monte airport (EMT). It takes less than 10 minutes to get on the other side of the mountains. We descended to 3.5K just to the east side of EMT, direct Fulleteron (FUL) then direct Long Beach (LGB) with flight following (and clear of Class B airspace):

Princess_Diana02.jpg

Here you can see the San Gabriel Mountains in the foreground, downtown Los Angeles, the Palos Verdes Pennisula (small hill) and Santa Catalina Island in the distance:

Princess_Diana03.jpg

This is a view looking east at the 'City of Industry' that spans for miles with the Pomona Freeway paralleling all the warehouses:

Princess_Diana04.jpg

Final approach to runway 25L with the Boeing "Home of the C-17 Globemaster III" plant (tan) and Airflite FBO (white):

Princess_Diana05.jpg

Most of the Queen Mary:

Princess_Diana06.jpg

No photography was allowed inside the exhibition so this is the best I could do:

Princess_Diana07.jpg

Our ticket included a self-guided tour of the Queen Mary but we'll save that for another day....we walked the outer deck for short while and found the bridge:

Princess_Diana08.jpg

Long Beach in the distance:

Princess_Diana09.jpg

We finished the evening with an ABSOLUTELY beautiful flight home! Here's a shot taken shortly after sunset looking west with Beverly Hills/Mulholland off the front of the wingtip:

Princess_Diana10.jpg

Sometimes it's best to take the car for short trips, and it's even cheaper...but having an RV available as another form of transportation: Priceless!!!!

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL WORTH IT! Rosie & Tuppergal

Beautiful write-up Rosie! I can't wait to do the same! I play darts in the Scottish Festival down there in February occasionally. That would be a great weekend of flights and flights (planes and darts)! :D

Back