What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Root Cause

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
A recent good thread on alternator failures got me to thinking about how often we see people posting about aircraft or component problems, and folks contributing their ideas on the solution or potential reason for the issue. I find it interesting that people are frequently willing to accept ideas when, in fact, very little detail has been brought out on the actual reason for the problem. In failure analysis terms, we rarely get down to ?Root Cause? ? and that is what we really need to do if we want to solve problems, especially safety problems.

I?ll use the ever-popular alternator failure as an example, and hope that I don?t offend anyone (because this is a generic discussion ? the thread I mentioned above started out with a very clear finding by the author that the problem was a broken pin on a connector). ?My alternator failed? is a common first statement. Sometimes, what a person really means is that they are no longer getting charging voltage on their main bus. Sometimes, they know exactly what happened, but it still comes across as ?the alternator failed?. I have seen a lot of ?I no longer get charging voltage on the bus? failures, and an equally large number of root causes. Sometimes, the Voltage Reg failed (due to heat, vibration, etc). Sometimes, the bearings are shot (which could be due to side load, vibration, poor quality to begin with). I have seen wiring failures of course (either main feed or the excitation leads, wire breaks, bad crimps, fatigue breaks due to vibration?). Sometimes the alternator case casting fractures ? that?s a good one! The ears break off, or the bearing structure fails. Shorted windings happen, but are rarer. OK ? how about bracket failures ? I have seen bolt-holes wallowed out, broken mounts, and mounts that have FALLEN OFF THE ENGINE BOSS! Adjustment arms get loose, loosening the belt, or allowing the alternator to move around and cause one of the above-mentioned vibration failures. And of course, sometimes an airplane has a short or open wire between the alternator and the main bus ? nothing to do with the alternator, but ?no charging? is the end result.

The point with this long but non-exhaustive list is simple ? you need to understand the root cause of a failure before you can fix it. And imprecise definitions of the failure don?t help anyone else if they are trying to build (or maintain) their airplane. It also doesn?t help the various manufacturers of alternators, as rumors about an unreliable product are usually false, and can cause people to choose something else for incorrect reasons. RV?ers tend to use a wide variety of alternators ? from the rebuilt ND auto units to custom-modified and cherry-picked high quality units sold at ?almost-certified? prices. The interesting thing is that without exception, there are folks that have had extremely good results with any of the choices ? and others that have had extremely bad results with any of the choices. But unless you look at the root cause of the failure, you can?t really make an informed decision on which way to go.

To be honest, most ?alternator failures? I have looked at have not been then fault of the alternator! Voltage regulators that get too hot and badly aligned (or loose) mounts have topped the list over the years. Too much tension on the belt can really eat things up, and too little can lead to voltage sag. Connections and strain relief are the other biggies. None of which are truly ?alternator failures? ? rather, they can be traced back to installation problems. Again?.root cause.

If you really want to help the community grow and develop more reliable installations, tracing back to the actual problem is invaluable ? and not doing so will send many people off on wild goose chases. Determining Root Cause is sometimes difficult, but extremely valuable if you really want to fix your problems ? and help others avoid them!

Paul

I think what you have said is extremely important to how each of us reads these posts, and to how we write them. It is clear to me that there are people who are failure analysts, and people who report problems. Not everyone is able to determine the root cause, and that is very understandable. For them, this forum is perhaps more important. Also, some are more adept at finding problems within a given area, such as fuel systems. I would have more problems troubleshooting (and finding a root cause) in electrical systems than in, say, fuel systems. It is a matter of experience.

To me, data points are important. I have no problem with the "I have 800 hours on mine and..." type of post. I do that sometimes. Balance and confidence comes from things like that.

Given the alternator scenario, I really don't know the distribution of the various makes/models. This makes drawing a conclusion about which is "best" difficult. For example, if 50% of the failures are ND's, but 90% of the people use them, then they may be the most reliable. Perhaps questions like these could be resolved through polls--the "what do you use/are you happy with it?" approach. This is something of a "Consumer Reports" approach. Then again, do we really want to know what is best, or do we just want to fly safely? Either way, the forums are indispensable. Thanks for your input.

Bob Kelly

snipped...

Either way, the forums are indispensable.

I built my entire RV without ever calling Van's for building questions. I did it by researching forums, and builder websites anytime I had questions. And I had a lot.

What I learned right off the bat, is that there are many different opinions on various subjects. The key is to read a lot of opinions on the same subject, and get a good feel for what appears to be the best solution. Of course, many of these forum bits of advice, will also include advice straight from Van's.

But I certainly agree with the original subject. Much too often, builders have condemned items such as radios, audio panels, auto-pilots, etc. because they simply were not wired correctly in the first place. The truth comes out after the solution is found; but damage is already done to the supplier/ vendors, manufacturer.

On the other hand, thanks to forums, I found that placing a outside temp probe in the NACA duct wasn't such a good idea, because it might read six or seven degrees hotter. Therefor, I didn't do it to begin with! :) Same with using the proper nuts......firewall forward, etc. If you never read the Internet forums during the building process, you might never know!

L.Adamson ---- RV6A (flying)

If you really want to help the community grow and develop more reliable installations, tracing back to the actual problem is invaluable ? and not doing so will send many people off on wild goose chases. Determining Root Cause is sometimes difficult, but extremely valuable if you really want to fix your problems ? and help others avoid them!

Paul

Great post Paul.

I am involved in Root Cause Analysis (RCA) in the IT industry. As an example, an incident such as an altenator failure can be resolved by replacement but does not address the reason why the altenator failed in the first place. Getting to the reason why the altenator failed can be long drawn out affair with the added risk that the altenator could fail again because the real "problem" has not been discovered. Here is good description of RCA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_cause_analysis

I have found the best way is to keep an open mind, keep on asking why this happened (Five Whys), delve deeper into resolving symptoms and don't get focused on a single issue.

?My alternator failed? is a common first statement. Sometimes, what a person really means is that they are no longer getting charging voltage on their main bus. Sometimes, they know exactly what happened, but it still comes across as ?the alternator failed?. I have seen a lot of ?I no longer get charging voltage on the bus? failures, and an equally large number of root causes. Sometimes, the Voltage Reg failed (due to heat, vibration, etc). Sometimes, the bearings are shot (which could be due to side load, vibration, poor quality to begin with). I have seen wiring failures of course (either main feed or the excitation leads, wire breaks, bad crimps, fatigue breaks due to vibration?). Sometimes the alternator case casting fractures ? that?s a good one! The ears break off, or the bearing structure fails. Shorted windings happen, but are rarer. OK ? how about bracket failures ? I have seen bolt-holes wallowed out, broken mounts, and mounts that have FALLEN OFF THE ENGINE BOSS! Adjustment arms get loose, loosening the belt, or allowing the alternator to move around and cause one of the above-mentioned vibration failures. And of course, sometimes an airplane has a short or open wire between the alternator and the main bus ? nothing to do with the alternator, but ?no charging? is the end result.

Paul

Paul,
Let me add one other root cause to your list. I recently had an "alternator failure" myself. The root cause turned out to be an oil leak at the 90-degree fitting where the prop governor oil line mounts to the front of the engine case. Oil sprayed onto the alternator belt, causing it to slip. Turns out that the alternator didn't fail, but you can't expect it to put out the amps if it doesn't rotate!

Yep, that's a new one Ron! Just goes to show....you have to keep asking that "Why?" question....

Of course, if my oil was spraying out of the high-pressure prop governor line, a lack of voltage woudl probably be lower on my priority list! ;)

Paul

49clipper

Good point, Paul. I have always tried to do that and it sure gives me piece of mind when I finally find the actual cause, and sometimes it gets real convoluted.
Jim
AP/IA/CFI/EAA Tech Counselor
RV-6 N189EM

Alternator as a leak detector?

Yep, that's a new one Ron! Just goes to show....you have to keep asking that "Why?" question....

Of course, if my oil was spraying out of the high-pressure prop governor line, a lack of voltage woudl probably be lower on my priority list! ;)

Paul

Actually the "alternator failure" helped me locate the oil leak that had been eluding me for some time. As for priorities, the oil leak was a nuisance that only leaked enough to make a mess of the engine compartment. The alternator is more of a priority in my case as I have dual electronic ignition and it's failure made me dependent on my two batteries!

Now, before everyone chimes in about the foolishness of not having at least one magneto....... Once the alternator fails I have at least 3 hours of juice in one battery to run the electronic ignition. When that runs out I have the second battery to run for another 3 hours. Of course I am out of gas long before that happens.

Back