What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rollover bar brace

DTB

Has anyone replaced the sreel rollover bar brace with a SS one?
I want to put a magnetic compass on the glare shield but with the steel bar it makes it a wast of time.
It looks pretty simple however, I am having trouble getting the steel bar out after removing the three bolts.
Thanks.

Has anyone replaced the sreel rollover bar brace with a SS one?
I want to put a magnetic compass on the glare shield but with the steel bar it makes it a wast of time.
It looks pretty simple however, I am having trouble getting the steel bar out after removing the three bolts.
Thanks.

My 1996 RV6 kit came with a SS brace. My magnetic compass is attached to it. Older kits were steel though.

L.Adamson

So what do you think Larry, can the brace be replaced without taking out the windshield?

Don

Hmmm

You never know for sure how any given builder is going to build an airplane so who can answer your question without closely looking at your particular example? Did you build the airplane? The answer to your question may depend, among other things on the age of your kit, how far forward the builder decided to locate the brace, how much space exists between the exposed lower portion of the brace and the windshield itself, how the builder finally shaped the flat portion of the brace with the bolt hole pattern, the slope/angle of the windshield, and how generous the size of the slit is through the skin the brace penetrates before it is bolted to the structure behind the instrument panel. In my case, I'd say yes the brace can "probably" be removed without removing the windshield. But before you do anything more, do yourself a favor and doublecheck that the existing brace is truly magnetic. The powdercoated brace that came with my 2000 vintage kit is not magnetic and the vertical compass card mounted to it works just fine.

5vq0bl.jpg

But before you do anything more, do yourself a favor and doublecheck that the existing brace is truly magnetic. The powdercoated brace that came with my 2000 vintage kit is not magnetic and the vertical compass card mounted to it works just fine.

Mine wasn't even powdercoated. In 96', nothing was. At the time I ordered the kit, I remember Van's talking about the switch from steel to SS.

L.Adamson

Rollover brace

Thanks guys for the imput. In answer to a few questions, no I did not build this airplane, bought it recently and the bar is magnetic. A compass on the glarshield points to the bar like a bird dog.
De-gaussing was thought about, but thought replacing the bar would a fairly simple solution. I was wrong.
I've decided to locate the compass in the panel, after moving around a few instruments around. That will be better than where it is now--in the baggage compartment!
Again, thanks for your responses.

Don

Back