What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rolling The Leading Edge

CDBridgesRV7A

Good Day Folks,

I've pretty much gone as far as I can for now in regards to building the empennage. There are some minor things to clean up but everything else has to wait until the MDRA inspector has inspected the insides of all the parts. I can't close them up until he/she has done that. Because it costs so much to have the inspector come out I'm waiting until I have a lot of stuff for him to inspect and then just have him come out for 1, maybe 2 trips.

With that being said, one of the things left to do is to roll the leading edges on the rudder and elevators. The rudder and elevators have 3 sections to roll. Is it best/easier to roll each individual section or do all 3 sections all at once? When you roll the last short piece up towards where to counter balance skin is (on the rudder), how do you roll that when the counter balance skin is already attached?

As always, thanks a bunch for the help and suggestions!! BTW, I finally got the trim tab riveted together! WOW what a pain in the butt that was. I took me 1.5 hrs to do that and I used a combo between a rivet squeezer and the gun. By far the hardest thing I've had to rivet yet.

Cheers

Chris

Start with the section closest to the counterbalance and work your way toward the root. You'll utter enough curse words doing them in single sections; doing all three at once will give you tourette's.

Rolling leading edge

Just done mine and recommend using "J" bolts and a broom handle. The broom head provides the leverage and the "J" bolts hold it firmly on the table. Yes do each separately and start with the small skins near the counterweight first. Make sure there is no slack in the tape. I used duct tape.

Start with the section closest to the counterbalance and work your way toward the root. You'll utter enough curse words doing them in single sections; doing all three at once will give you tourette's.

This is, by far, the most perfect way to describe this step in the building process.

Back