What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rolling Resistance

GrayHawk

Well Known Member
My older 6A is harder to pull & push than I think it should be. Also several others have noted that. When I pull it with the nose tug, I can hear some amount of brake noise on the main gear wheels. My question is, how much brake drag should be there. (I run 35# in nose tire, 32-34# in main tires)

For the main gear only (enough has been said about the bearing setup of the nose gears), I'm planning on checking the following:

- brake pad clearance
- brake pedal return springs
- toe in/out
- camber
- any misalignment of main gear

Along with the usual condition inspection items of bearing wear, repack, and bearing preload.

Any other thoughts?

Push and pull resistance

In my cas two things: the fairing backing plate on right gear was loose and dragging on rotor, I thought it was brakes. The main gear bearings had not been repacked at least for two years. After that pulling and pushing is a breeze.......

You should have very little resistance from the brake drag if any. I was having a similiar problem and discovered that the brake pad was binding on the bracket for the wheel pant. This only interfered when the pads wore down.

Also I noticed if my tires are a little low on pressure it make a big difference on pushing the plane

Back