What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rolling on your RV paint?

Junglepilot

Well Known Member
I am rattlecan painting my interior and panel. All is fine. But I was doing some other research and found a lot of people in the old car market ( I have a 1970 VW Cabriolet I restored) who are using all Rustoleum on their cars.

Get this...some are even rolling it on with (from the pix) pretty good results.

Here is a link if you're interested in reading about the sacrosanct method in the homebuilt community probably :D (BTW, I do know a guy who painted his entire RV with rattlecan paint)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paint-Your-Car-With-Rustoleum/

I have a friend that painted his Aeronca Chief with a roller every 4 years or so. He kept it outside and said that painting was cheaper than hangar rent.

Can't vouch for his value / cost assessment - or the legality on a type cert airplane. But, the airplane looked OK and flew regularly.

If you wanted to paint with a roller - I probably wouldn't ask for a lot of opinions. Just do it and don't tell anybody!;)

Biggest problem I see with this method is weight. You can't control paint thickness very well with a roller.

There's an old RV-4 here in the Boston area that was painted with a roller. It looks about as bad as you'd expect it would.

Dave

Just so everybody knows...

There will be no roller tracks left on my plane. Spraying the plane with good paint and having a pro do it.

But I was more thinking about the roller method in the cabin for flat items like panel. I just noticed the other day in Home Dept or Lowes ( I forget) they have a much better assortment of the Rustoleum Pro paint in quart cans. Hmmm I thought.

One of the issues I have found was touching up a panel using rattlecan paint (all the overspray).

Now here's another one I may try.... on a test piece first....

A local painter uses a battery charger (low voltage DC), connecting one end (+) to the can/sprayer and the other (-) to the piece being painted.

Anyone tried this? ( and not blown themselves up ;))

When I was a kid, the guy next door developed what I think was the first electrostatic paint process. The fire dept. would show up on a regular basis, until he worked out the bugs. Be Careful!

Jim Berry
RV-10

But I was more thinking about the roller method in the cabin for flat items like panel. I just noticed the other day in Home Dept or Lowes ( I forget) they have a much better assortment of the Rustoleum Pro paint in quart cans. Hmmm I thought.

My panel is Rustoleum, that was sprayed on with a gun. It's okay.........but I re-sprayed the corrugated baggage bulkhead and seats with the exterior two part Sherwin Williams Genesis, which is a urethane as I remember. The Sherwin Williams is extremely tough and flexible. It just doesn't want to scratch easily, and quickly shines to look like fresh painted. Extreme toughness & being flexable at the same time is the big difference! Of course, it cost's far more than Rustoleum.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back