What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll Trim on RV10

I’m building a 10 and am getting close to closing up the wings. My question is, is roll trim a necessity on the 10 or more of a “I’d like to have” item?

In my opinion you need it. I'm also building a 10 but flying a completed 14. If you are going to put in an autopilot, it will use it constantly. And unless you plan to switch fuel tanks every 10 min for balance, you'll use it a lot as well. Very easy to install and you won't regret it. My $0.02

IMHO you need it as well. Noticeably more so if you opt for ER tanks.
The auto trim is surprisingly busy.
I haven’t tried it to quantify , but based on what Ive observed, I would estimate that much more than 12-15gal of imbalance for a 10ER would use up all the available trim.

I have my tank change set for 5gal (20L) and these days tend to look at where the auto trim is every 5Gal and then decide whether to switch or not - aiming to keep the trim neutral. It varies depending on who is (or isn’t) on the pax side front and back.

I’m planning on using the Garmin G3X. How does it all work together with auto pilot servos and trim. Just a little hazy on all of that.

Back