What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

roll forward top skin edges?

Trevor778

Well Known Member
Just wondering what others have done. Rv 7 slider, I fit the forward top skin yesterday and Im not happy with the fit. I've read that others say when I rivet it the edges will suck in, but I was thinking of rolling the edges slightly to help out. What have others done? Thanks in advance.

I didn't roll

Riveted the top fwd skin on my RV-7 slider two weeks ago. I didn't roll the edge, and the edge did look bending away from longeron when clecoed only. However, no gap between top and side skin after riveting. Just make sure you adjust the pressure on the high side so the gun can put enough punch on the rivet.

Rolling top skin

Trevor,
I had the same concern a few years ago concerning the sides 'flaring' out. Yep, I rolled them in a bit and also used a little gadget from Avery tools to give an additional 'roll-in' along the side edges. It seemed to work for me.

Jim Diehl 7a
N891DD

Rolled edges

I rolled mine- the skin was very tight- I also used some wing-nut clecos to pull it down- worked very well.

Probably THE worst-looking cleco fit on the entire airplane. But it rivets fine and looks good. A little edge rolling (a LITTLE edge rolling) won't hurt you a bit.

Probably THE worst-looking cleco fit on the entire airplane. But it rivets fine and looks good. A little edge rolling (a LITTLE edge rolling) won't hurt you a bit.

I'll agree that it looks pretty ugly on my 9A, I was planning on a little edge roll as well, not sure if I'll need the wing-nut clecos to snug it up tight before riveting.

Now is the time to check the alignment of the firewall to the main longeron and see if you need shims to fill in here. The overlap and fit that is causing you to ask this question inhibits you from seeing this until it is all "nailed down". Look around at your next fly in and you will see what I mean.
Take a piece of .025 and lay it over that intersection and look behind it to see if you need to add shim or two.

I did a light edge roll on my top forward skin. We finished the riveting this weekend and it looks nice and tight.

IMG_4982-M.jpg

I'll agree that it looks pretty ugly on my 9A, I was planning on a little edge roll as well, not sure if I'll need the wing-nut clecos to snug it up tight before riveting.

I bought wingnut clecos specifically to hold this thing in place during construction. But at rivet time, holding with just regular clecos worked just fine.

I bought wingnut clecos specifically to hold this thing in place during construction. But at rivet time, holding with just regular clecos worked just fine.

I was thinking I'd try it first with putting a cleco in every hole instead of half of them, and just removing each one as I rivet it.

Back