What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll Bar installation

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
How are you getting the nuts and washers for the forward screws under the canopy deck to mount the roll bar?
Can?t reach there with my fingers while holding the spacers. Seems like I need a tool for this one.

IMG_2136edit.jpg

If that is a U-channel like it seems to be, you could super-glue the washer to the nut, then set the nut in the end of a socket, and then attach them both at the same time....

My solution

I could find no way to get the nuts and washers up to these bolts and no way to get a socket or wrench end to tighten them. So, what I did was to drill down from the top through the bottom of the flange, then used a dremel tool with a rotary rasp to cut a small "scallop" from the bottom edge centered on these holes. The cut was large enough to allow a socket wrench to come up in a straight line.
I hated to cut into the bottom of the flange, but it isn't really noticeable. I doubt it makes any significant structural change

Fuel Lube

I used that sticky grease Fuel Lube on the washer, nut and my finger. I torqued the bolt head and not the nut.

I made a custom wrench from a 1/4" drive 7/16" (I think) socket and a piece of steel bar bent in sort of an ell shape. Welded together. Dropped the nut in the socket, held it up under the rail and dropped the screw into place. Easy, once I got the tool geometry figured out.

850912067_LEfs2-L.jpg

I just finished this agony! Complicated by the fact that I had wires running under the rail (I'll never do that again). I used a Dremel to grind away the bottom of the rail that prevents you from accessing the rear #4 bolts). Filed it all smooth. Then used the Fuel Lube technique with a mirror and LOTS of patience. Not fun. A total of 6 hours of work for 4 bolts.

just magnetize the bolt or stick a strong magnet to the bolt head and then everything you attach to it will stick, not hard

I like the idea with the magnet. At least the nut and washer will not drop a thousand times and as soon as the nut catches it should be the easier part to fasten the nut - or bolt.

When you are at the fitting stage (ie, planning to remove and reinstall the rollbar a few times) install it with the bolt up and the nut on top. It is a lot easier to put together this way. When you are ready, just flip them over and you are set. for the bolt-up install, use a strip of tape to hold the spacer and bolt together then pull the tape away once installed. I have had my rollbar in and out many times, takes only 5 minutes this way.

Back