What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll Bar for a RV-8

n38139

Well Known Member
I have some photos of the roll bar I had made for my 8. I am not suggesting you do this nor trying to discuss the merits of having one or not. I had a friend that tipped a 8 over a year or so ago and it bent the vertical stabilizer and made it hard for him to get out. I don't have the cover made for the padding but you can see how I had it made.

vR96P-BDSuCXu7p1vcF-HA

pdiVYz-ApzCfk9cwAngdpA

5t3nDjNMLbGJX7xBZy_Pxg

zslfWQCx-u99WKJk5ap0EA

Last edited:
Nice

Good Job, Looks nice!
I bet it will help the GIB in and out too.
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Very nice

Steve,

I like the look of your custom roll bar and it would seem to enhance safety for one or two occupants. You say you had the roll bar made. Care to share any particulars, including the manufacturer and its cost? Do your photographs show the stock weldment after rework? Did the maker also match the powdercoat? I'm guessing the weight penalty is about 3 pounds, does that sound about right? If the price was reasonable and I could simply send mine out for rework, I'd certainly consider the option. Thanks for sharing.

Looked great without the cheap padding!

I love the craftsmanship. Have a custom pad made. The Home Depot padding hides it.

Roll Bar

I had it fabricated at a local race car shop. It is made out of 4130 and is very strong and light. Labor and material was about $300 total. The shop also bent me a stick. I actually purchased an new crossbar from Van's and had it welded up because I wasn't sure it would work the way I wanted it to. I have the one I took out if any of you guys want to do the same thing. It also makes it much easier for anybody in the back seat to get in and out.

I did not have it powder coated but that would be easy to do.

How tall is it? I think I will do that with mine, I bought a wrecked one for parts and the same thing happened to it, I guess they were stuck in it for a little while before help arrived.

I think it is a very fine idea <g>

Showplanes sells the pre-bent tube for $55:
http://www.showplanes.com/
Click "Products"

I added the bracing because it is otherwise very weak given a fore-and-aft load. Even this bracing doesn't triangulate the assembly enough for a serious bending load, but it is better than nothing.

Roll Bar

Looks like you have the cheapest solution. If anybody wants to do the same thing, I have a used cross bar that I took out of mine.

Steve

Back