What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rohm keyless chuck keeps loosening

Shockwave

Well Known Member
Anyone else have this problem? I can drill 10, maybe 15 holes then the chuck will have backed off about an 8th of a turn and the bit will fall right out. I can't tighten it by hand any tighter than I am.

The best way to tighten these chucks is by holding the chuck as tight as you can and running the drill motor. But you may already be doing that. I personally haven't had good luck with keyless chucks. I prefer the key type.

I have the same issue. I've just become used to it. Looking back, I think I should have gone with the key'd chuck.

Abrupt stop?

You didn't mention what kind of a drill you were using. Sometimes the battery powered drills stop very abruptly and will loosen a keyless chuck.

I personally prefer the key type chucks also.

Ted

It's in a Sioux air drill, so yes it does stop abruptly. (Also why I'm hesitant to grab it and hit the trigger to tighten it) :)

I may be going back to the keyed chuck as well.

Just grab it

Set the bit. Start up the drill and try to stall it with your hand. This seems to get it a bit(!) tighter. Then again I'll never be a hand model.

rohm keyless chuck

for what it's worth i have had very good success with the supra line rohm keyless chuck in my 1/4" air drill:
rohmsuprakeylesschuckbj2.png

the clamping action is engaged from a very fine internal thread and it requires quite a few turns to stroke from fully closed to open; it does not loosen with extended use though.

Sioux air drill

My Sioux air drill with the Rohm keyless chuck is excellent. I wouldn't have a keyed chuck. I use two Makita cordless Drills with keyless chucks as well.
I think the secret here is to try to buy quality tools when frequent use is intended. My own credo only.

what about the weight?

Hi,

what's the weight of the r?hm-chucks you're using? How does it affect the handling of the drill? I've got a larger diameter keyless chuck on my sioux and would like to swap it for one with a smaller diameter, I was hesitant about the r?hm because of the weight however.

Mario

rohm supra keyless chuck specs

Specs for the rohm supra keyless chuck that i am using:

Mount: 3/8"-24 Internal Thread (mounts on drill's male thread)
Grip Range: 0-1/4"
External Diameter: 1-1/4"
Length Opened: 2-5/16"
Length Closed: 2-9/16"
Weight: 10.6 oz

the thin diameter matches a typical jacobs chuck and the balance and weight of my drill remains good.

Back