What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rod end bearings.

ditch

Well Known Member
I'm starting to feel like I'm posting to many threads here but I checked the archives for this answer and couldn't come up with anything. So bare with me. I looked at the plans for the depth that you turn the rod end bearings in. On the vertical stab it says 1 1/16 from center hole to spar. Well if I do that the rod is only 3 full turns in. That can't be right. If that really is the measurement do you have to buy longer rod bearings? Also on the elevators, they say 7/8 max out. Can you turn them in far enough so they work and still get the right travel? I read in the archives that you should have atleast a couple threads past the nutplate. These are way to short if thats the case. What did everyone else do with these?

Look again. On the rudder, there are two different length rod ends, and three different depth dimensions

Speaking of rod ends...

Pulled my rudder the other day FOM (for other mntc) and found the center bearing bad and the others going bad. On my next annual (due in a few months) all the contros will come off for bearing inspection/replacement. Almost 3 years and 600 hrs on the plane but this is premature failure for a rod end bearing. Van's has a great kit but they keep the cost low by providing "marginal quality" hardware.

Walt said:
Pulled my rudder the other day FOM (for other mntc) and found the center bearing bad and the others going bad. On my next annual (due in a few months) all the contros will come off for bearing inspection/replacement. Almost 3 years and 600 hrs on the plane but this is premature failure for a rod end bearing. Van's has a great kit but they keep the cost low by providing "marginal quality" hardware.

Can you provide some more details here? What is the failure mode on these? I ask because my neighbor and I found that a couple of rod end bearings on his rudder and elevator were not in primo shape when we finally did final assembly (they tended to bind if *any* side load was put on them at all, or in one case even if a very small sideways rotation was applied). We replaced them with new ones, but were also not impressed with the quality of these rod end bearings. Since I'm just starting on the empennage, I'm wondering if I should take into account an upgrade on these parts (and what would that be if one were to do that) during construction?

Vernier Used

I used the depth guage on a vernier caliper to get the rod end bearings to proper length. I measured to the "top" of the rod end and it measured 1.20 inches rather than measuring to an impossible center point on the bearing. That way every bearing was at exactly the same height.

Replaced rudder bearings

Flying Scotsman said:
Can you provide some more details here? What is the failure mode on these? I ask because my neighbor and I found that a couple of rod end bearings on his rudder and elevator were not in primo shape when we finally did final assembly (they tended to bind if *any* side load was put on them at all, or in one case even if a very small sideways rotation was applied). We replaced them with new ones, but were also not impressed with the quality of these rod end bearings. Since I'm just starting on the empennage, I'm wondering if I should take into account an upgrade on these parts (and what would that be if one were to do that) during construction?

The bearings were very rough and had a small amount of play in them, especially the center bearing. I ordered new Heim bearings from spruce ($25 each) and they were nothing like the cheaper bearings that came out. The Heim is a quality bearing with a machined brass bearing race pressed in, the old ones looked like that had some kind or formed steel race. I am going to order replacements for the elev and ailerons so when they come off at annual I will have them on hand. If I had noticed this before I would have installed new ones from the beginning. I did get 3 yrs of service from them though so I guess that's better then just tossing them ;)

Walt said:
The bearings were very rough and had a small amount of play in them, especially the center bearing. I ordered new Heim bearings from spruce ($25 each) and they were nothing like the cheaper bearings that came out. The Heim is a quality bearing with a machined brass bearing race pressed in, the old ones looked like that had some kind or formed steel race. I am going to order replacements for the elev and ailerons so when they come off at annual I will have them on hand. If I had noticed this before I would have installed new ones from the beginning. I did get 3 yrs of service from them though so I guess that's better then just tossing them ;)

We talked about this, and decided we want to just go with the better rod end bearings from the get-go, sooooo...

Do you happen to have part numbers or Spruce catalog numbers for these that you can post or send?

TIA!

I'm looking at the spruce book now and the way I read it is that the heim p/n is the same as the ones on the plans. They do have other bearings but they are Aurora brand. The Aurora is $13.80 for the 36-14 and the Heim is $24.30 for the 36-14. I looks like the Heim has a zerk in it for greasing also. Looks like the MD36-16M sells for $29.50. Go to spruce and order their master catalog. It's free. Hope this helps

ditch said:
I'm looking at the spruce book now and the way I read it is that the heim p/n is the same as the ones on the plans. They do have other bearings but they are Aurora brand. The Aurora is $13.80 for the 36-14 and the Heim is $24.30 for the 36-14. I looks like the Heim has a zerk in it for greasing also. Looks like the MD36-16M sells for $29.50. Go to spruce and order their master catalog. It's free. Hope this helps

Got one! Thanks for the info...I don't want to mess around with cheap parts that I'll just have to replace later (along with the aggravation). I'll order some this week.

Steve

Back