What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rod Bower Ram Air

bob888

Well Known Member
I have the Rod Bower ram air parts and am trying to fit everything using the RSA 5 fuel servo. One problem is the studs on the engine are too short for the angled shim he provided between the engine and the top of the RSA5. Have others found they have to change the studs on the engine to make this work? Alternatives? I have an old/used engine and my initial attempts to remove the old studs have not been successful. Also, the fiberglass cowl mod is a bit too shallow and needed to be modified. I would like to find out how others may have solved these problems.

I was doing the rob bowers myself. You have a few problems with what Rob sent you. In a nut she'll it won't work. The spacer he gave you does make the studs to short but the spacer also drops the filter down so much that it hits the fiberglass scoop he provided.
The problem is with the 90 degree angle piece he sent. It needs to be at about an 80 to 85 degree angle to raise the front of the filter higher to clear the scoop. He sends the angle shim to do that but it drops the filter down and basically does not achieve what you need.
What you need is just a new elbow. I had to leave to Alaska to work for the next 6 months so I stopped right where I was at. I even took the spacer he gave me and milled it down so the studs would work but it still made the filter hit the scoop.
ROB is a good guy but I had a hard time dealing with him as he had gotten hurt and each phone call to him I had to re tell hiM who I was and what problems I was having.
I I'm this fall when I get back to working on the 10 going to have to figure out how to make a new elbow. You will either have to redo the elbow or make a bigger dish in the scoop to clear the filter. I prefer the elbow less drag and I think the scoop would not look as good if you dished it out more.

Back