What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RockRack (APEM) vs Carling switches

grayforge

Well Known Member
I bought an example of each switch to determine which one is most ideal for install into my RV-7A. I wanted to compare them based on quality, brightness and switched circuits.

I grabbed some Carling switches from Digikey and a RockRack (APEM) switch from Spruce. Here's what I found:
  • Both switches have a very good feel and I think they're both high quality.
  • The upper LED in the RockRack/APEM is significantly brighter than the one in the Carling. In fact, you can barely tell the Carling is on when there's decent ambient light around. The lower LED brightness was about the same.
  • This version of the APEM switch has 10 terminals, making it very flexible when integrating with your devices while controlling the LEDs in the switch.
  • The APEM switch is much more clear about labeling the terminal numbers and LED wiring/polarity.
  • Interestingly, the accessories for the APEM switches are very expensive from Digikey. So I ordered the removal tools (2) and a couple covers from Spruce instead.

Regarding the LEDs, if you're switching is at all non standard (switching ground or using a VP-X), use the 10 terminal versions of these switches. With a Double Pole 10 terminal switch, you can use the 1st pole to control your switched device completely independently from the LED(s) on the 2nd pole.

Regards,
Russ

Relative brightness. Overhead lights were off, so the ambient light was not very bright.
DSC00820.JPG

Pulling the RockRack sticker off shows it's an APEM switch. :)
DSC00826.JPG

Back