What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RivNut Tool Question

PatD

Does anyone have experience with Aircraft Spruce's "Rivet Conversion Kits" or the "Homebuilders Rivet Nut Tool" as found at the bottom right of page 609 in their new catalog? The first item uses a pop rivet gun as the mechanism while the second item uses to metal blocks.

Thanks,
Pat
RV-9 in progress

Sure did ...

... Ie'v used the threaded gizzies that let you use a blind rivet puller for rivnuts. Worked great. No complaints.

I've used the Homebuilder's Rivnut Tool and didn't like it at all. I recently purchased a puller-style tool from Lowbuck Tools for ~$100 and am very happy with it. Wish I would have bought it sooner.

Pat,

Yes, I have use the Homebuilder's Rivnut tool.

It works great and I found it even better if you use a socket adapter in your cordless drill to set the rivnut.

Also, use "Keyed Rivnuts". They have a little bump on the bottom of the flange which helps keep them from spinning.

Check out the last entry on this page of my fuselage page. I added tie down rings to my baggage compartment using rivnuts.

Pat,

Yes, I have use the Homebuilder's Rivnut tool.

It works great and I found it even better if you use a socket adapter in your cordless drill to set the rivnut.

Also, use "Keyed Rivnuts". They have a little bump on the bottom of the flange which helps keep them from spinning.

Check out the last entry on this page of my fuselage page. I added tie down rings to my baggage compartment using rivnuts.

Bill's suggestion to use a socket adapter and drill is a good idea.

Yesterday I went to work installing the new upper gear leg fairings from Jan in Africa with the Homebuilders Rivnut Tool from ACS. The device works but when using a wrench to turn the bolt to pull the rivnut, it takes forever, especially when on your back on a creeper under the wing. I installed 3 rivnuts with each fairing and it took about 4 hours to get the job done. I used the notched version of rivnut and they appear to be set quite tight and should not turn. I used the side load a very small drill bit to cut the notch on the edge of each hole.

The tool is worth the money for just a few installs.

Hangar temp was 90F+ and that may have slowed things down a bit.

Hear is what you need to know!

For Rivnuts and a good tool that will pull even the steel ones, see this link.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/rivnut.pdf

The 4-40 and 6-32 on all of the tools are the most vulnerable to breakage due to the small minor diameter of the threads.

If you are just starting and need a not cheap but great Multi Purpose Tool
that will set Rivnuts and Cherry-max up to 1/4"

We offer this Hydraulic Hand tool part #D-100-RN

I feel is worth it because it is so powerful and versital.:cool:

Last edited:
I have both, the spruce Homebuilders tool does a better job than the pop rivet puller tools however they also work fine. I tend to use the Homebuilders tool when I have easy access and the puller when I have tight access.

Pat

Does anyone have experience with Aircraft Spruce's "Rivet Conversion Kits" or the "Homebuilders Rivet Nut Tool" as found at the bottom right of page 609 in their new catalog? The first item uses a pop rivet gun as the mechanism while the second item uses to metal blocks.

Thanks,
Pat
RV-9 in progress

Back