What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivets underneath nosewheel

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
Page 41-9, figure 3.

The instructions say to not rivet the 17 rivet holes along the bottom leading edge of the fusealge. We are in the process of mounting the nose gear and would like to get these rivet holes taken care of, but we haven't been able to find in the instructions where this is done. Could someone point that section out to us please?

Thank you,
Jack and Dave

Middle Rivets

Those 17 rivets show being done Section 28-12 Figure 2.

Page 28-13 step 2 (paragraph 6) is reference as to when to rivet.

Last edited:
You may want to look ahead to 47-11, Figure 1. You will see that one of the holes will be enlarged and used to attach the support bracket for the lower cowl. The stock method has you use a washer and nut and that makes it tough to get on and off. Many of us have added a nutplate there instead, but it is easier to do before the nose wheel assembly is on.

Thanks much...

Page 28-13 is in the QB fuselage instructions, and that pretty much sets on the shelf.. and we don't look there. We did look ahead and "thought about" putting a nutplate in there, and now that you are suggesting it, that is how we are going. I can't believe how fast I get responses on this website.. We posted the question this morning, and already we have the work done..

Looking at the stock bracket, it struck me that it was inevitable it would crack - a very weak design. I doubled it up with a mirror image piece to make a H-shaped bracket.

My last one cracked almost immediately. It's sometimes easier to reinstall the cowl with it off. On this one I've also used flush screws on the louvers. Easier to clean, easier to paint.

They crack

I saw more than one crack. So I am making my own version by basically copying that one, but extending it on the rear side and using thicker material. Then I put a rivnut in the belly so now you have two fasteners holding it.

Must say I also like the "H" idea.

Back