What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivets set wrong way round

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
Hi all.Riveting the main ribs to the rear wing spar. Going great guns with my squeezer and set 27 rivets. Then I read the manufactured head is supposed to be on the rib side to prevent distortion. I haven't got distortion. Does this really matter which way the manufactured head is facing. Looking at other builder's sites and they have done it correctly.

The manufactured head should "normally" be on the side of the thinner material, but structurally it's ok if it's not.

You might wind up with more issues drilling the rivets out, might consider leaving the rivets as they are. (would be my advise) :)

A picture is worth a thousand words

Post a picture and it will be easier for someone to help you.

Thanks Walt, I think I will change them.

Pete,
Please consider leaving them. As Walt said, structurally they are fine and as Darrell said, you will likely do more damage by removing them. Cosmetically, you will not see them once the airplane is assembled.

Pete,
Please consider leaving them. As Walt said, structurally they are fine and as Darrell said, you will likely do more damage by removing them. Cosmetically, you will not see them once the airplane is assembled.

I second Mel's motion...

Often more problems are caused removing rivets that would have been fine if left alone.

Back