What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivets on RV7 rudder reinforcement plate

Kaphilmore

I'm New Here
On my RV7 rudder reinforcement plate, I have 2 holes that do not appear on the drawings (see attached pic). The holes are also on the rudder horn. I did not match drill these since they weren't on the drawing, but I'm wondering if I should have. Anyone match drill and rivet the holes shown? Thanks in advance for the input.

Attachments

• 20220221_111847_HDR~2.jpg
    20220221_111847_HDR~2.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 167
I think I asked Vans about this when I ran across it. As I recall, the answer was that this part is common to the RV14 and that's where those holes are utilized. Somebody please chime in if I'm remembering this wrong.

Having said that, when it comes time to route wiring to the tail nav light, if you follow OP-56 they have you drill the left side one out and pop rivet a wire tie base on there.

Great, thanks for the feedback. I went through the instructions again and what you said makes sense. They never mention drilling those 2 holes out, so I think I'm good to go :).

Yeah, I asked tech support when I got to that point.. they said I could leave them be as they are or I could rivet them. I chose to rivet them, because why not .

Same on the -8. E-mailed vans and they said I could fabricate a larger spacer and rivet them or leave them empty. I chose to leave them empty.

Back