What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivets in Empennage Kit

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
Hi all,
my first post here, just started on the empennage of my RV-7 QB. I sure will have many questions sooner or later.
Here is the first one:
As one is learning riveting on the empennage kit usually some rivets will be used learning on scrap metal. About how many surplus rivets are in the kit? I?m just to lazy to count! What is your experience?

Plenty. And if you do need more, they are too inexpensive to be concerned about it.

There should be plenty. I am working on the empennage too, and get done with HS and VS, still a lots of rivets (especially the 426AD3-3.5) left, more than enough for the rudder and elevator. I am thinking if the rivets are quantified by lbs in the packing bags, there should be plenty of them. If they are quantified by actual number, as for some of the pop rivets, the spare is limited.

The only rivets in the empennage kit that seem to be in short supply are some of the more specialized pull rivets and longer regular rivets. I have bags of unopened rivets from the (now finished) fuselage kit because I was using the leftover ones from the tail and wing kits. In a pinch, you can always cut down a longer rivet to fit.

Have you built anything before? If not, I recommend doing one of the Vans practice kits first so you don't ruin any of your parts on rookie mistakes (plus I see you're from Germany so shipping has to be expensive). Good luck!

Yes I had shipping in mind when asking. I could get the rivets and other things here, but I believe it will be cheaper to order in the US and pay shipping and customs. Problem is when you order something the next day you need something else. I am kind of lucky to be in the States now and then and can bring stuff without the overseas shipping charges, however sometimes you need or want something immediately!
I did some metal work before and I?m also doing most things on my Super Cub. So I am not at the very beginning and feel confident - I am also sure I will make my mistakes on this project!

Back