What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivets in a single wing?

Topturn

Just finished my left wing, no flaperons yet just the main structure and am wonder how many rivets per wing? I think I've emptied my rivet tub at least twice so that's 2,000+ either way a fair amount but I'd love to have a better idea just how many are involved per wing.

Finished my 2nd wing this afternoon although still have the flaperons to do to truly finish the wing kit and reckon approx 2,300 rivets in each wing so 2,500 kinda makes sense based on the remaining contents of the rivet shelf and tub

Jim from Texas - N223JH suggested I may need to order additional LP4-3 rivets to have enough to finish. I have in the region of 4,700 left (4 full boxes & the rest in the rivet tub) will this be enough or should I order more with my next kit order?

12,000 rivets

Van's supplies the required rivets, about 12,000 I believe. Keep track of the number of rivets that you drill out. If you waste more than 100, then order 100 more. Or wait until the plane is almost done and see how many rivets that are left. I keep a shopping list, but wait until I absolutely have to have a part, and then order everything on the list at once to save on shipping.
Joe

VAn's Knows?

Kinda surprised that Van's doesn't know the exact count on each part. Doesn't the computer that was employed to design this aircraft 'know' the answer? Don't computers know about everything?:)

Back