What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivets for flap gap fairing

cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I am at the point of figuring out the rivet call out for the flap gap fairing on a QB 9A. The plans call for # 4 rivets for the aft line of rivets. I have a QB kit and the inboard lower skins are installed. I can't figure a way to get to the rivets to buck them. The aileron gap fairing should be no problem for the skin there is not installed yet.

Should I use pop rivets or what?

Check the drawing. There is a note for Quick Builders that calls out the appropriate pop rivets. It had me scratching my head for awhile too.

Bill

Cleve,

The RV-8 drawing 14A, on the left hand side about 2/3 down the page shows a note to Quick Builders regarding the rivet call out. ??use blind rivets?CR3212-4-6 @ root end and MSP-42 everywhere else?. If you plan ahead, the CR3212-4-6 Cherry rivets can be replaced with the standard flush rivet called for on the slow build plans providing you machine countersink the spar pieces and dimple countersink the flap brace ahead of any other riveting. A bucking bar will fit under the root end quite nicely. There is no alternative to pop rivets for the rest of the outboard brace. Good luck, the note about the QB rivets is easy to overlook.

Robert

Back