What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivets for external step?

swisseagle

Well Known Member
I'm short before installing the external steps on my RV-7A.

Vans show two possible rivets, AN470 or the blind rivet MSP-42.

If I look at VAF it looks that most of you take AN470, but it needs a good bucking buddy and a special bucking bars due to limited acces.

Does any of you out there used MSP-42 and can report all is fine after hunderts of hours? I would vote for that rivet type, just because of easyness of installation.

For me it is a highly loaded area, due to dynamic force on the step. I dont want to mess up the riveting there or repair it later.

Thanks for your coments,

Dominik

There is another way

I initially riveted mine with 1/8" AN470 rivets. Then in the interest of speed redid the installation using #8 stainless steel screws and a backing nut plate with platenuts for every location that previously had a rivet installed. This way I can remove the steps and install a cover plate for racing and reinstall the steps for "oh so nice" entry and exit from the airplane. I riveted the nut plate containing all the platenuts to the inside of the fuselage skin just to retain it in position with AN426 rivets. Photos and description are somewhere in this forum. That has worked out very well. I also cut access holes in the baggage compartment floor for the bolts. These have cover plates and all of this is covered by carpet.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I used the blind rivets. No problems 250 hrs later. I did fill the heads with filler before painting for cosmetic reasons.

Fin
9A

I don't have hundreds of hours...only 63, but the blind rivets are holding up great. I didn't fill them in, like Finley did, but I probably should have. They don't look bad at all unfilled, but probably would be better if they were! As for strength, I would only question blind rivets if you were well over 200 lbs and liked to jump on your steps. I'm 190 lbs, and have hopped a little bit, but they haven't moved.

Dominik:
Used both types - AN where they were easy to get at and the blind rivets everywhere else. Approaching 500 hours / big guy / no problems.
Terry

Thank you!

Hello all thogether.

Thank you for quick and informative response!

I'll go on with the MSP-42.

I'm around 195 lbs, slowly increasing since I started building ;-)

Kind regards,

Dominik
RV-7A slow build
Switzerland

Last edited:
If I look at VAF it looks that most of you take AN470, but it needs a good bucking buddy and a special bucking bars due to limited acces.

On my 9A I used 470's, and bucked them all solo with a standard tungsten bar - is the 7 that much different?

Bulkhead is in the way

Hello Greg

I dont do riveting 470s alone ... results are not good, sliped of many times. With 426 it is fine, but 470, call a bucking buddy.

I dont know the position of a RV-9 step, but on the 7, the flange of a bulkhead is in the way and the steel tube from the step is to close for 2 or 3 rivets. So i dont want to mix blind and 470. It is doable but you must get different bucking bars.

Dominik

Here's how I did it....

I ground a bit of clearance on a "foot-type" bucking bar to reach around the corners. Don't remember if I used it here, but another alternative for close quarters is to use a rivet squeezing yoke laid on its side as a bucking bar to get into the tight spots.

We put steps on our 7 using all 426's to cut down on drag and all those bumps look ugly. Yes it's not a 7A. About 4'' of the down post was cut off and the step welded back on. The ladies like it.

Back