What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting

Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
Forgive the 'apparently newbie question' but....When riveting and forming the shop head I understand the final shop head dimensions should be 1.5D wide and .5D tall. Which dimension is most critical. I normally buck the rivet until the Diameter fits snugly into the guage, this can leave the rivet a little tall.

Guidance would be appreciated.

On this subject, I have felt that a slightly over-done rivet (1.6) is better that an under-done rivet(1.4 - 1.3)). Is this true? Which side do most builders err on (assumming you didn't get the perfect shop head)?

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

It depends...

Brambo said:
On this subject, I have felt that a slightly over-done rivet (1.6) is better that an under-done rivet(1.4 - 1.3)). Is this true? Which side do most builders err on (assumming you didn't get the perfect shop head)?

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

Bill ... either one is good... with "good" being defined as within specification.

The only hazard with aiming for a slightly overdriven (1.6D) rivet is that you may make the shop head too thin. As long as the height of the shop head is within spec., it's OK.

If you aim for 1.5D, you have more tolerance in either direction on the timing of the length of your rivet gun burst...

gil in Tucson

Ah Yes,

Thanx guys,

Especially Mike from CA, I had forgotten about the guide to riveting and that was exactly the information I need.

Many thanx.

Just checked all driven heads again and no problems but its nice to be sure and work to definate tolerances not just use the guages.

Back