What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting W-721 after performing the Aileron Hinge Service Bulletin

inktomi

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Lesson learned - don't do this in the order of the RV-8 directions, or you'll end up with a single rivet in W-721 that you can't get to with a squeezer or bucking bar. Any ideas on a good structural blind rivet that I could substitute for the AN470-4-4 the plans are calling for here? I would think it would be fine to substitute this single rivet for blind rivet.

The plans have you install the hinge brackets, and then W-721 - but you need to install the outboard hinge bracket, then W-721, and _then_ the inner hinge bracket to avoid this situation.

In this photo, you can see how the final left most rivet hole is pretty close to the hinge bracket normally.
IMG_3367.JPG

You can see how it is even closer on the back due to the service bulletin braces. You can't get a squeezer in there, maybe bucking bar at an angle?
IMG_3370.JPG

Using my angled bucking bar seemed like it would work, but you can see that it doesn't fully cover the rivet and so this is also not an option. I stopped riveting after a few "bangs" of the rivet gun to see if it was covering it or not.
IMG_3376.JPG

Any ideas on what a good replacement would be?

Can you use the Cherry Max rivet there? I also had trouble rivet the bottom skin around this area too so I used the pull rivet

A chunk of steel with a sharp corner on it, instead of the typical radiused corner edge that is on most bucking bars would set the rivet.
Substituting a proper length cherry max would work as well
In your photo, it looks like you are bouncing your rivet gun set on a lot of the manufactured heads. You need to push harder with the gun.

Back