What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting Upper Forward Fuselage AFTER engine Hang

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
So I finally got my upper instrument panel assembly installed onto the fuselage after wiring it up on the bench. My engine has already been hung and I can see a few of the rivets on the firewall that connect with the forward ribs of the instrument panel will be a challenge to get to.

What have other people done to get these rivets? Back riveting? Cherrymax?

Capture-10.png

There are only a couple rivets that are awkward. Those that are located near the motor mount. You just have to get creative to find something to use as a bucking bar and will fit. I think I just used a chisel.

Since I can't remember how I did the ribs, I'm assuming that it must have been something easy and obvious. You only have a few inches to get in there. I do recall taking off the oil reservoir to get to a couple. I suspect that I just used an offset rivet set. I just checked my build log and didn't note anything special.

I would think you would have a similiar issue with back riveting becuase the subpanel being in the way.

The rivets around the mounting posts and around the gear leg are almost impossible to get to. I used my squeezer for most, then fabricated a think bucking bar for the close ones. I think I even used rivets that were a little shorted so I could get behind the tail to buck them.
I actually put the mount on AFTER I riveted the top skins on, and then decided to use quick release fasteners around the firewall. I had to remove the rivets to attach the plates for the fasteners. Later I decided not to use the quarter turn fasteners, removed them and re-riveted again.
So.... It can be done, be patient.

Actually Bill I was referring to the upper three ribs of the instrument panel rather than the cowl attach flange on the firewall, but I get your point. We were able to bucket all but 6 of them. I am going to try some cherrymax structural rivets in the few remaining spots on those ribs.

Sorry I misread your post. I installed those rivets prior to installing the engine mount. I would imagine that using Cherry Max rivets would suffice.

Back